Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Travel advice

Countries all around the world are adopting measures to prevent the further spread of coronavirus. These measures may affect the travel plans of students and staff from Leiden University.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs looks at factors such as the public-health situation and which measures have been adopted before issuing a travel advisory on how safe a country or region is. This is expressed in the colour codes red (do not travel), orange (only travel if essential), yellow (some safety risks) and green (no particular safety risks). 

Although the travel advisories for many EU countries changed from orange to yellow on 15 June 2020, this does not necessarily mean you may visit that country for work or study. You must first obtain permission to do so. You may, however, make private trips to countries with green or yellow travel advisories, but you should be aware of potential risks. In addition, follow the government advice, also with regard to the consequences of having to go into quarantine when you return home.

Returning from abroad

Leiden University students and staff must quarantine at home for two weeks when returning from a country with an orange or red colour code in a Ministry of Foreign Affairs travel advisory. You are not allowed to visit the university during this period. This also holds for participants of the introduction weeks and for international students arriving from a country with red or orange travel advisory. If you experience coronavirus symptoms, call 0800-1202 to book an appointment for a test.

The University will help any students and staff who are abroad and need help. The form that this help takes will depend on the individual situation. The prime concern is everyone’s safety. If you need urgent help, call the University’s emergency number: +31 71 527 6666 (available 24/7).

International students in Leiden

If you are an international student currently residing in Leiden and you have questions on e.g. returning to your home country or finishing your study programme online, you can contact your international exchange coordinator, call our central helpline 071 – 527 1132 or send an email to corona@leidenuniv.nl. Please also follow your lecturers’ instructions through Blackboard or Brightspace. 

International staff in Leiden

If you are an international member of staff, you may have questions about returning to your home country and whether this or remaining here will have implications for your residence permit, health insurance, employment contract, accommodation and so on. The Service Centre for International Staff can help you here.

Study trips and exchanges

All exchange programmes in the first semester of the academic year 2020-2021 have been cancelled because of coronavirus. Students may not travel abroad for study-related activities until, at this stage, 1 February 2021.

If you plan to go abroad for your studies before this date and this is for something other than an exchange programme – an internship, for example – the University can, in very exceptional cases, grant you permission to do so. You may only request permission to travel to areas that are classified as green or yellow in the Dutch government’s travel advisories.

More information and travel permission procedure

Business trips

Business trips abroad are not permitted until further notice, unless the Executive Board gives prior permission in writing. This applies to all trips, regardless of the government’s travel advice. For the time being, extreme caution is being exercised with approving foreign travel. This same procedure also applies to business trips that were already planned and approved; you will therefore have to request permission for this trip once again.
More information and travel permission procedure

This website uses cookies.  More information.