The registration period for semester 1 (2022-2023) has closed. Starting November 14th, we invite you to register for courses in semester 2. NB. You can only register for courses within the Faculty of Humanities.
Coronavirus measures & Academic year 2022-2023
For more information and updates about the measures, please consult the university's corona file.
Registration takes place using a registration form (available on this page from November 14th 2022 until January 13th 2023). Your registration is only final after receipt of your payment.
Once you have been registered, we will send you your:
- letter of confirmation (containing e.g. timetable information)
- unique student number
- registration card
- ULCN account log-in details
The people at the Student Information Desk will take care of your uSis registration for the lectures and examinations/written assignments – you don’t have to do this yourself.
Registration for semester 1 starts on June 1, 2022 - 07:00 AM and ends on August 2, 2022 - 11:59 PM.
Registration for semester 2 starts on November 14, 2022 - 07:00 AM and ends on January 13, 2023 - 11:59 PM.
Please note: due to the administrative handling of the registrations we are compelled to comply with these deadlines. Registration requests after the deadline will not be processed.
Cancellation and refunds
You can cancel your registration up to two weeks before the semester starts. For the first semester, the final cancellation date is 22 August 2022; for the second semester it is 18 January 2023. If you cancel your registration after the cancellation deadline, you will have to pay the following administration costs:
- Before the course starts: 10% of the course fee
- If you cancel in the first week of the course: 40% of the course fee
- If you cancel in the second week or later, you will have to pay the full course fee.
An exception may be made in the event of:
- force majeure (on medical grounds)
- the university’s cancelling a course without offering a suitable alternative
No refund will be made in the event of a teacher falling ill or being substituted. To be eligible for a refund, you must return your registration card. If no payment has yet been made, you will be sent an amended invoice.
If you successfully complete the course, your marks and ECs will be recorded in uSis (student registration system). You can request your transcript by e-mail at the end of the examination period. If you decide to convert your registration into a regular (bachelor’s/master’s degree programme) registration, you may be able to request an exemption for modules you have already completed.
As a contract student, you have the right to:
- use Brightspace, Leiden University’s digital learning environment
- use the computer rooms
- use the University Library (UB)
- use a uMail address (e-mail)
You do not have the right to:
- student grants or loans
- discounts at the university Language Centre