If you are a non-Dutch speaker and wish to register for À la Carte Education, please send us an email (email@example.com). Your registration is only final once your payment is received.
Upon registration you will receive the following:
- Letter of confirmation (supplemented with information, such as timetables)
- Personal student number
- Registration card
- Login details for a ULCN account (provides access to, for instance, Blackboard)
Registration for semester 1 starts on June 17th 2019 and ends on August 15th 2019.
Registration for semester 2 starts on November 18th2019 and ends on January 16th2020.
Please note: due to the administrative handling of all registrations we are compelled to comply with these deadlines
Cancellation and reimbursement
In principal, a series of lectures lasts 13 weeks. No refund is granted when lectures are cancelled due to holidays. If the lecturer cancels a lecture, the first 5 lectures will not be reimbursed. If the sixth lecture (or further lectures) is cancelled, the student can request one-seventh of the course fee per cancelled lecture.
Cancellation is possible until two weeks before the start of the term. For the first term, the cancellation deadline is 19 August 2019; for the second term, the deadline is 20 January 2020. In the event of cancellation after the deadline, the following administration costs are charged:
- Before the start of the course: 10% of the course
- Cancellation in the first week of the course: 40% of the course fee
- Cancellation in the second week of the course or later: the entire course fee is charged
- Force majeure (on medical grounds)
- Cancellation of a course without the offering of a suitable alternative.
In the event that the lecturer falls ill or the lecturer is replaced, no refund is granted. In order to be entitled for reimbursement, you are required to return your registration card. An adapted invoice will be sent if no payment has been made yet.
After completing the course(s) you receive a certificate. The lecturer will present you with the certificate in the final lecture, or it will be sent to your home address after the course. The certificate is only awarded if your attendance was sufficient. This is determined by the lecturer(s) by means of an attendance list. The certificate contains no study results or assessment, since à la carte students do not take exams.
À la Carte students are entitled to:
- use Blackboard, Leiden University’s digital learning environment
- use of computer rooms
- use the Leiden University Library
- a uMail email address
À la Carte students are not entitled to:
- Student grants or loans
- Discount at the Leiden University Academic Language Centre