PhD Graduate School of Archaeology
Training and Supervision Plan
In the course of your PhD you make agreements with your supervisors concerning your personal development and the supervision you receive. No later than three months after the start of your appointment, these agreements should be recorded in a Training and Supervision Plan. External PhD candidates must do this within a maximum of six months following admission to the Graduate School.
Agreements concerning training and supervision
One year after the start of your appointment, the Training and Supervision Plan is elaborated in more detail and revised if and where necessary. It should in any case cover the following aspects:
- Planning of fieldwork, labwork
- Any courses and training programmes you are going to follow in the context of your training as a researcher and when you will take the courses.
- Agreements concerning the form and frequency of the personal supervision you receive during your appointment as a PhD student and the distribution of responsibilities between the various supervisors.
These agreements involving the content of the Training and Supervision Plan are included in Article 6.8 of the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO Nederlandse Universiteiten).
The training plan for employed PhD candidates, internal selffunded PhD candidates contract PhD candidates and externally financed PhD candidates has to encompasses the entire doctoral process and consists of at least:
- 140 hours of academic training activities
- 140 hours of training activities focusing on transferable skills
External PhD candidates must at least take the ‘scientific integrity’ course.
Note: The Training and Supervision Plan is obligatory for all PhD Candidates.