Eduard Fosch Villaronga
Dr. Eduard Fosch-Villaronga is a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Postdoctoral Researcher at eLaw- Center for Law and Digital Technologies- since January 2019.
Dr. Eduard Fosch-Villaronga is currently a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Postdoctoral Researcher at eLaw- Center for Law and Digital Technologies- of Leiden University in the Netherlands (2019-2021). This grant is part of the LEaDing Postdocs Fellowship Programme, a project funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement No 707404. Eduard investigates the legal and regulatory aspects of healthcare robot and Artificial Intelligence (AI) technologies and is the leader of the Robotics and Autonomous Systems Working Group, which is an interdisciplinary Working Group at eLaw dedicated to advance the understanding of the legal, regulatory, and ethical implications of robots and autonomous systems. As part of his fellowship, he is currently visiting AiTech Center at TU Delft, which is a multidisciplinary research program on awareness, concepts, and design & engineering of autonomous technology under meaningful human control.
Eduard has been appointed as an expert by the European Commission in the Sub-Group on Artificial Intelligence (AI), connected products and other new challenges in product safety” to the Consumer Safety Network (CSN). He is also the co-leader of the Working Group on the Ethical, Legal and Societal Aspects for Wearable Robots for Augmentation, Assistance or Substitution of Human Motor Functions at the European COST Action CA16116. His publications are available online on researchgate, which includes his latest research on sex care robots or on the importance of including the LGBTQ+ community in the development of AI to avoid discrimination, featured by Nature Machine Intelligence. He also published a book entitled ‘Robots, Healthcare, and the Law. Regulating Automation in Personal Care’ with Routledge.
Previously he was a researcher at the Cloud Legal Project between the Microsoft Cloud Computing Research Centre and the Centre for Commercial Law Studies both at the Queen Mary University of London in the UK. He investigated the governance of cloud robotics (Oct 2017-2018). He was also a postdoctoral researcher at the Law, Governance and Technology Department at the University of Twente in the Netherlands (Oct 2016-Sept 2017). In his time in UTwente, Eduard devised iterative modes for robot governance.
Eduard holds an Erasmus Mundus Joint Doctorate (EMJD) in Law, Science, and Technology where he addressed the legal and ethical implications of the use and development of healthcare robot technology. The Ph.D. awarding institutions include University of Bologna (Italy), University of Turin (Italy), Autonomous University of Barcelona (Spain), Tilburg University (The Netherlands) and Mykolas Romeris University (Lithuania). Apart from the mobility plan of his Ph.D. program which included the University of Bologna (Italy), University of Turin (Italy), Mykolas Romeris University (Lithuania), Center for Ethics and Law in the Life Sciences (CELLS) at Leibniz University (Germany), Institute of Law & Technology at the Autonomous University of Barcelona (Spain) and University of Pittsburgh School of Law (United States), Eduard has spent short visiting Ph.D. research periods at the Center for Education Engineering and Outreach (CEEO) at Tufts University in the United States; and the Laboratoire de Systèmes Robotiques (LSRO) at the École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) in Lausanne, Switzerland. Eduard has also received degrees from the University of Toulouse (LLM), the Autonomous University of Madrid (MA), and the Autonomous University of Barcelona (LLB).
His takeaways from his Ph.D. Thesis “Create a European Robot Impact Assessment” and “Create a Robot Seal” were included in the “EYE2018 Report: 100 ideas for a better future”, an event organized by the European Parliament. Eduard has also given seminars in prestigious institutions around the globe including the Advanced Telecommunications Research Institute International (ATR) in Japan, University College of London in the U.K., Robotics Institute in Carnegie Mellon University in the U.S., Mihaljo Pupin Institut in Serbia, European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT) at Uppsala University in Sweden, and Fordham Law School in the U.S.
Eduard has lived in eight different countries, is fluent in several languages (Catalan, Spanish, English, French and Italian) and has some basic knowledge in other languages. His academic interests include the regulation of technology, privacy, dignity, human-robot interactions, the future of work, the future of education, the use of emotions in human-robot interactions and the byproduct consequences of technology. In his free time, Eduard enjoys cooking, traveling, learning languages and listening to music from the past.
- Zardiashvili L. & Fosch-Villaronga E. (2020), “Oh, Dignity too?” Said the Robot: Human Dignity as the Basis for the Governance of Robotics, Minds and Machines: Journal for Artificial Intelligence, Philosophy and Cognitive Science 30(1): 121-143.
- Aymerich-Franch L. & Fosch-Villaronga E. (2020), A Self-Guiding Tool to Conduct Research With Embodiment Technologies Responsibly, Frontiers in Robotics and AI 7(22): 1-5.
- Fosch-Villaronga E. (2020), "Ethical, Legal and Societal Aspects of Wearable Robots" (special issue) Member of editorial staff Paladyn: Journal of Behavioral Robotics 11.
- Søraa R.A. & Fosch-Villaronga E. (2020), Exoskeletons for all: The interplay between exoskeletons, inclusion, gender and intersectionality, Paladyn: Journal of Behavioral Robotics 11: 217-227.
- Fosch-Villaronga E., Lutz C. & Tamò-Larrieux A. (2020), Gathering expert opinions for social robots' ethical, legal, and societal concerns. Findings from Four International Workshops, International Journal of Social Robotics 12(2): 441-458.
- Poulsen A., Fosch-Villaronga E. & Søraa R.A. (2020), Queering machines, Nature Machine Intelligence 2(3): 152.
- Fosch-Villaronga E. & Poulsen A. (2020), Sex care robots: Exploring the potential use of sexual robot technologies for disabled and elder care, Paladyn: Journal of Behavioral Robotics 11: 1-18.
- Buechi M., Fosch-Villaronga E., Lutz C., Tamò A., Velidi S. & Viljoe S. (2020), The Chilling Effects of Algorithmic Profiling: Mapping the Issues, Computer Law & Security Review 36(April 2020): 105367.
- Felzmann H., Fosch-Villaronga E., Lutz C. & Tamò-Larrieux A. (2019), Transparency you can trust: Transparency requirements for artificial intelligence between legal norms and contextual concerns, Big Data & Society : 1-14.
- Fosch-Villaronga E. & Millard C. (2019), Cloud robotics law and regulation: Challenges in the governance of complex and dynamic cyber–physical ecosystems, Robotics and Autonomous Systems 119: 77-91.
- Fosch-Villaronga E. & Aymerich-Franch L. (18 April 2019), Me, myself and my avatar might be the same person. Binary District: Making sense of digital technologies. London: Binary District Journal [blog entry].
- Aymerich-Franch L. & Fosch-Villaronga E. (2019), What We Learned from Mediated Embodiment Experiments and Why It Should Matter to Policymakers, PRESENCE: Virtual and Augmented Reality 27(1 - Winter 2018): 63-67.
- Fosch-Villaronga E. & Özcan B. (2020), The progressive intertwinement between design, human needs and the regulation of care technology: the case of lower-limb exoskeletons, International Journal of Social Robotics 12(4): 959-972.
- Fosch-Villaronga E. & Golia A. Jr. (2019), Robots, Standards and the Law. Rivalries between private standards and public policymaking for robot governance, Computer Law & Security Review 35(2): 129-144.
- Fosch-Villaronga E. & Albo-Canals J. (2019), “I’ll take care of you,” said the robot: Reflecting upon the Legal and Ethical Aspects of the Use and Development of Social Robots for Therapy, Paladyn: Journal of Behavioral Robotics 10(1): 77-93.
- Felzmann H., Kapeller A., Hughes A.M. & Fosch-Villaronga E. (2019), Ethical, legal and social issues in wearable robotics: Perspectives from the work of the COST Action on Wearable Robots. In: Pons-Rovira J.L. (Ed.) Inclusive Robotics for a Better Society. Selected Papers from INBOTS Conference 2018, 16-18 October, 2018, Pisa, Italy. Biosystems & Biorobotics no. 25 Cham: Springer. 92-97.
- Fosch-Villaronga E. & Grau Ruiz M.A. (2019), Expert considerations for the regulation of assistive robotics. A European Robotics Forum Echo, DILEMATA : Revista Internacional de Éticas Aplicadas 11(30): 149-169.
- Fosch-Villaronga E. (2019), “I Love You,” Said the Robot: Boundaries of the Use of Emotions in Human-Robot Interactions. In: Ayanoglu H. & Duarte E. (Ed.) Emotional Design in Human Robot Interaction: Theory, Methods and Applications. Human-Computer Interaction Series Heidelberg: Springer. 93-110.
- Fosch-Villaronga E. & Millard C. (2019), Loud and Cloud: Human Responsibility for Cloud Robotics Ecosystems. In: Pons J.L. (Ed.) Inclusive Robotics for a Better Society: Selected Papers from INBOTS Conference 2018, 16-18 October, 2018, Pisa, Italy. Biosystems & Biorobotics no. 25 Cham: Springer. 109-112.
- Fosch-Villaronga E. & Heldeweg M.A. (2019), “Meet Me Halfway,” Said the Robot to the Regulation: Linking Ex-Ante Technology Impact Assessments to Legislative Ex-Post Evaluations via Shared Data Repositories for Robot Governance. In: Pons J.L. (Ed.) Inclusive Robotics for a Better Society: Selected Papers from INBOTS Conference 2018, 16-18 October, 2018, Pisa, Italy. Biosystems & Biorobotics no. 25 Cham: Springer. 113-119.
- Ienca M. & Fosch-Villaronga E. (2019), Privacy and Security Issues in Assistive Technologies for Dementia: The Case of Ambient Assisted Living, Wearables, and Service Robotics. In: Jotterand F., Ienca M., Wangmo T. & Elger B. (Eds.) Intelligent Assistive Technologies for Dementia: Clinical, Ethical, Social, and Regulatory Implications. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 221-239.
- Fosch-Villaronga E. (2019), Regulating Healthcare Robot and AI Technologies. Knowledge Centre on Data & Society, Centre for IT & IP Law (CiTiP), KU Leuven. .
- Fosch-Villaronga E. (2019), Responsibility in robot and AI environments. In: Van den Berg L., Geldermans S., Heeres A.A., Noort N.W., Van de Riet J.T.J., Vonk S.E.C. & Weijers H.J. (Eds.) Recht en technologie. Vraagstukken van de digitale revolutie. Den Haag: Boom Juridische uitgevers. 141-152.
- Felzmann H., Fosch-Villaronga E., Lutz C. & Tamò-Larrieux A. (2019), Robots and Transparency: The Multiple Dimensions of Transparency in the Context of Robot Technologies, IEEE Robotics & Automation Magazine 26(2): 71-78.
- Fosch-Villaronga E. (2019), Robots, Healthcare, and the Law: Regulating Automation in Personal Care. Routledge Research in the Law of Emerging Technologies. London-New York: Routledge.
- Fosch-Villaronga E. & Golia A. Jr. (2019), The Intricate Relationships between Private Standards and Public Policymaking in the Case of Personal Care Robots. Who Cares More?. In: Barattini P., Vicentini F., Virk G.S. & Haidegger T. (Eds.) Human-Robot Interaction: Safety, Standardization, and Benchmarking. Boca Raton: CRC Press (Taylor & Francis Group). 9-18.
- Fosch-Villaronga E. & Millard C. (2018), Cloud Robotics Law and Regulation: Challenges in the Governance of Complex and Dynamic Cyber-Physical Ecosystems Legal Studies Research Paper / Queen Mary University of London, School of Law no. 295/2018. London: QMUL Cloud Legal Project. [Working paper].
- Fosch-Villaronga E., Felzmann H., Ramos-Montero M. & Mahler T. (2018), Cloud services for robotic nurses? Assessing legal and ethical issues in the use of cloud services for healthcare robots. In: 2018 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), Madrid, 1-5 October 2018.: IEEE. 290-296.
- Fosch-Villaronga E., Tamò-Larrieux A. & Lutz C. (2018), Did I Tell You My New Therapist is a Robot? Ethical, Legal, and Societal Issues of Healthcare and Therapeutic Robots. [Working paper].
- Fosch-Villaronga E., Kieseberg P. & Li T. (2018), Humans forget, machines remember: Artificial intelligence and the Right to Be Forgotten, Computer Law and Security Review 34(2): 304-313.
- Fosch-Villaronga E. & Albo-Canals J. (2018), Implications of the Google’s US 8,996,429 B1 Patent in Cloud Robotics-Based Therapeutic Researches. In: Neves A. (Ed.) Service Robots. London: IntechOpen. 145-163.
- Fosch-Villaronga E. (2018), Legal Frame of Non-social Personal Care Robots. In: Husty M., Hofbaur M. (Eds.) New Trends in Medical and Service Robots: Design, Analysis and Control (MESROB 2016). Mechanisms and Machine Science no. 48 Cham: Springer. 229-242.
- Fosch-Villaronga E., Felzmann H., Pierce R.L., De Conca S., De Groot A., Ponce del Castillo A. & Robbins S. (2018), ‘Nothing Comes between My Robot and Me’: Privacy and Human-Robot Interaction in Robotised Healthcare. In: Leenes R., Brakel R. van, Gutwirth S., De Hert P. (Eds.) Data Protection and Privacy: The Internet of Bodies. Oxford: Hart. 93-122.
- Fosch-Villaronga E. (2018), Reflecting upon the use of AI and robot technologies for therapy. In: NewFriends2018: The 3rd International Conference on social robots in therapy and education, Panama, June 27, 28 and 29. Proceedings.. 35-36.
- Fosch-Villaronga E. & Heldeweg M. (2018), “Regulation, I presume?” said the robot – Towards an iterative regulatory process for robot governance, Computer Law and Security Review 34(6): 1258-1277.
- Fosch-Villaronga E. (28 June 2017), Towards a Legal end Ethical Framework for Personal Care Robots. Analysis of Person Carrier, Physical Assistant and Mobile Servant Robots (PhD thesis. CIRSFID, Law, Alma Mater Studiorum Università di Bologna). S.l.: s.n.. Supervisor(s): Roig Batalla A., Albo Canals J.
- Fosch-Villaronga E. & Lutz C. Tamò A. (2017), The Privacy Implications of Social Robots – Solutions from Two Conference Workshops. In: Privacy Sensitive Robotics Workshop at HRI 2017, March 06-09, Vienna, Austria..
- Barco Martelo A. & Fosch-Villaronga E. (2017), Child-Robot Interaction Studies: From Lessons Learned to Guidelines. In: 3rd Workshop on Child-Robot Interaction, CRI 2017: Research, Methodology and Best Practices (HRI 2017, March 06-09, Vienna, Austria)..
- Fosch-Villaronga E. & Roig A. (2017), European regulatory framework for person carrier robots, Computer Law and Security Review 33(4): 502-520.
- Fosch-Villaronga E. & Heldeweg M.A. (2017), HRI and the Future of Law. In: Proceedings of the Companion of the 2017 ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction (HRI '17), Vienna, Austria — March 06 - 09, 2017. New York: ACM. 117-118.
- Fosch-Villaronga E. & Özcan B. (2017), Progettazione e disciplina dell'esoscheletro: l'inestricabile coevoluzione tra umani e robot. In: Pirni A. (Ed.) Il Postumano Realizzato: Orizzonti Di Possibilità e Sfide Per il Nostro Tempo. Nuova corrente: rivista di letteratura no. 159(1) Novara: Interlinea. 89-116.
- Fosch-Villaronga E. & Heldeweg M.A. (2017), Regulering voor Experimenteren met Emergente Robot Technologie. In: Askalova V.I., Heldeweg M.A. (Eds.) Constitutionele mogelijkheden en beperkingen voor experimenteel handelen en experimentele wetgeving: Staatsrechtconferentie 2016. Publikaties van de Staatsrechtkring. Staatsrechtconferenties no. 20 Oisterwijk: Wolf Legal Publishers (WLP). 89-107.
- Fosch-Villaronga E. & Virk G.S. (2017), Legal Issues for Mobile Servant Robots. In: Rodić A., Borangiu T. (Eds.) Advances in Robot Design and Intelligent Control: Proceedings of the 25th Conference on Robotics in Alpe-Adria-Danube Region (RAAD16). Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing no. 540 Cham: Springer. 605-612.
- Fosch-Villaronga E., Barco A., Özcan B. & Shukla J. (2016), An Interdisciplinary Approach to Improving Cognitive Human-Robot Interaction – A Novel Emotion-Based Model. In: Seibt J., Nørskov M., Schack Andersen S. (Eds.) What Social Robots Can and Should Do: Proceedings of Robophilosophy 2016 / TRANSOR 2016. Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications no. 290 Amsterdam-Berlin-Washington, DC: IOS Press. 195-205.
- Fosch-Villaronga E. (2016), ISO 13482:2014 and Its Confusing Categories. Building a Bridge Between Law and Robotics. In: New Trends in Medical and Service Robots: Human Centered Analysis, Control and Design. Mechanisms and Machine Science no. 39 Cham: Springer. 31-44.
- Fosch-Villaronga E. & Kalipalya-Mruthyunjaya V. (2016), Robot Enhancement of Cognitive and Ethical Capabilities of Humans. In: Seibt J., Nørskov M., Schack Andersen S. (Eds.) What Social Robots Can and Should Do: Proceedings of Robophilosophy 2016 / TRANSOR 2016. Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications no. 290 Amsterdam-Berlin-Washington, DC: IOS Press. 223-233.
- Fosch-Villaronga E. (2016), What Do Roboticists Need to Know about the Future of Robot Law?. In: Albo-Canals J. [et al.] (Ed.) NewFriends 2016, The 2nd International Conference on Social Robots in Therapy and Education, Barcelona, 2-4 November 2016..
No relevant ancillary activities