Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Working in the Netherlands

Many students want to find themselves a job during their studies, to help cover their expenses for example, or they might want to stay and work in the Netherlands after graduating. While there are certainly possibilities in both these areas, you’ll need to bear in mind that there are also restrictions.

Working while studying

Finding yourself a job during your studies is by no means impossible, but it could prove difficult. You might be able to work for the University, which can be arranged through our JobMotion office, but only a limited number of such jobs are available each year. Working outside the University offers more options, but for many jobs you’ll need a reasonable command of Dutch and, depending on your nationality, you might also face certain restrictions. If you are from Switzerland or an EU/EEA country, you will not need a work permit. Students of all other nationalities will need a special work permit and, even then, can only work for a maximum of 16 hours a week. We therefore advise that you don’t rely on finding a paid job to help fund your study costs.

After graduation

Non-EU students who graduate from Leiden University can apply for a special residence permit to stay in the Netherlands for a year (orientation year), to look for a job or even start up their own company. No additional work permit or proof of financial means will be required. You’ll need to apply for this permit within three years after graduating or completing your research. Then, if you find yourself a job during this orientation year you will need to apply for another permit after the current one expires.

We can point you in the right direction in finding a job that’s best suited to your interests and needs, and you can visit our website for further information on jobs and internships during and after your studies.

This website uses cookies. More information.