Welcome service and travel plans
When should you plan to arrive in the Netherlands? Before making your travel plans, find out about the welcome service offered on certain dates by Leiden University. There are also a number of other practical matters to take into consideration.
Warm welcome service
On certain dates before each semester, Leiden University offers a warm welcome service for newly-arriving international students. If you arrive on one of these dates, you can sign up for the welcome service at Amsterdam Schiphol airport, Leiden train station or the Hague Hollandspoor train station. You can also visit an information lounge with any questions you might have about post-arrival practicalities
Dates of the next Warm Welcome Service:
- Students who will live in The Hague: 14, 15, 16 August 2019
- Students who will live in Leiden: 21, 22, 23 August 2019
Enthusiastic Leiden University staff and students will welcome you upon arrival, provide you with information on post-arrival practicalities and assist you in finding your way to your accommodation.
|How to register||
Advance registration required - at least one week before your arrival!
Let us know when and where you will arrive via the online registration form. You will then receive further instructions.
At the information lounge you can find a wealth of information about post-arrival practicalities.
|Times||09:00 - 17:00|
|Registration?||No registration required. Just drop by!|
If you have any questions about the Warm Welcome Service, please send a mail to: email@example.com
Other travel plan considerations
Before planning your journey, you should also take the following into consider:
- The dates of your introduction week
- Your housing contract dates and key collection arrangements
- Any orientation activities organised by your study programme
- The dates of any necessary appointments, for example:
- Always await the approval of your student visa (if applicable) before booking a non-changeable/non-refundable ticket!
If you are unable to arrive during the warm welcome service, you can use the following websites and services to help you find your way from the airport and around Leiden and The Hague:
- Dutch railways (NS) journey planner
- Public transport journey planner
- Leiden Tourist Information Centre
- The Hague Info Store
To use public transport in the Netherlands you will need a travel pass, known as an OV-chipkaart. For information on the types of card available and how to purchase them, visit the OV-chipkaart site. Note that you can buy a single-use OV-chipkaart from ticket machines at Dutch train stations.