Welcome service and travel plans
When should you plan to arrive in the Netherlands? Before making your travel plans, find out about the welcome service offered on certain dates by Leiden University. There are also a number of other practical matters to take into consideration.
Warm welcome service
On certain dates before each semester, Leiden University offers a warm welcome service for newly-arriving international students. Students arriving during the warm welcome service can:
- Sign up for a warm welcome at the airport or train station
- Visit an information lounge for help with post-arrival practicalities
Dates of the next Warm Welcome Service:
- Airport/train station welcome service: Friday 24 January 2020
- Information lounge: Monday 27 January 2020
Enthusiastic Leiden University staff and students will welcome you upon arrival and assist you in finding your way to your accommodation.
|How to register||
Advance registration required - at least one week before your arrival.
At the information lounge you can find a wealth of information about post-arrival practicalities.
|Registration?||No registration required. Just drop by!|
If you have any questions about the Warm Welcome Service, please send a mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Other travel plan considerations
Before planning your journey, you should also take the following into consider:
- The dates of your introduction week
- Your housing contract dates and key collection arrangements
- Any orientation activities organised by your study programme
- The dates of any necessary appointments, for example:
- Always await the approval of your student visa (if applicable) before booking a non-changeable/non-refundable ticket!
If you are unable to arrive during the warm welcome service, you can use the following websites and services to help you find your way from the airport and around Leiden and The Hague:
- Dutch railways (NS) journey planner
- Public transport journey planner
- Leiden Tourist Information Centre
- The Hague Info Store
To use public transport in the Netherlands you will need a travel pass, known as an OV-chipkaart. For information on the types of card available and how to purchase them, visit the OV-chipkaart site. Note that you can buy a single-use OV-chipkaart from ticket machines at Dutch train stations.