Welcome service and travel plans
When should you plan to arrive in the Netherlands? Before making your travel plans, find out about the welcome service offered on certain dates by Leiden University. There are also a number of other practical matters to take into consideration.
Warm welcome service
On certain dates shortly before the start of each semester, Leiden University organises a Warm Welcome Service for newly-arriving international students. This includes assistance in finding your way from the airport to your accommodation, as well as advice on the formalities you need to take care of after arrival.
Two different formats
Due to corona measures, we will be offering two different formats of Warm Welcome Service in August 2021:
- In-person welcome: for students who do NOT need to self-quarantine upon arrival.
- Telephone/online welcome: for students who DO need to self-quarantine upon arrival.
Check on the Dutch government website whether you need to self-quarantine upon arrival.
Schiphol airport welcome
- When: 18, 19, 20 August and 25, 26, 27 August, from 08:00 till 17:00.
- What: upon your arrival at Schiphol airport, enthusiastic students will be on hand to greet you. They can answer your practical questions, explain how to buy tickets for your onward journey and let you know how to reach your accommodation.
- How: upon arrival, make your way to Schiphol's central arrivals hall. Go to the 'meeting point', which is located between the signs to platforms 3/4 and platforms 5/6. Here you will see our represenatives in colourful suits waiting to meet you.
- When: 18, 19, 20 and 25, 26, 27 August, from 08:00 till 17:00
- What: upon your arrival at Schiphol airport, enthusiastic students will be on hand to greet you over the phone. They can answer your practical questions, explain how to buy tickets for your onward journey and let you know how to reach your accommodation.
- How: upon arrival, contact the following number by phone, video-call or message, and we will offer you personal assistance over the phone: +31 685317744
If you have any questions about the Warm Welcome Service, please send a mail to: email@example.com
Other travel plan considerations
Before planning your journey, you should also take the following into consider:
- The dates of your introduction week
- Your housing contract dates and key collection arrangements
- Any orientation activities organised by your study programme
- The dates of any necessary appointments, for example:
- Always await the approval of your student visa (if applicable) before booking a non-changeable/non-refundable ticket!
If you are unable to arrive during the warm welcome service, you can use the following websites and services to help you find your way from the airport and around Leiden and The Hague:
- Dutch railways (NS) journey planner
- Public transport journey planner
- Leiden Tourist Information Centre
- The Hague Info Store
To use public transport in the Netherlands you will need a travel pass, known as an OV-chipkaart. For information on the types of card available and how to purchase them, visit the OV-chipkaart site. Note that you can buy a single-use OV-chipkaart from ticket machines at Dutch train stations.