Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Registering with a doctor

We highly advise you to register with a doctor (GP) in Leiden or The Hague before arrival or soon after you get here.

You can only get a doctor’s appointment in the Netherlands after first registering at a doctor's practice. Furthermore, if you need to see a specialist, you must first obtain a referral from your own doctor (GP) – except in cases of emergency.

How can I register?

  • You can search for a doctor via Zorgkaart Nederland. The site is in Dutch but just select your town under ‘Plaats’ in the left-hand menu to see all GP practices in your area.  
  • In The Hague, students living in the central and railway stations area could consider registering with Biking+Doctors, The Student Doctors or Praktijk Shams. They have experience in assisting (international) students and are currently accepting new patients.

Contact the practice directly to ask how to register. 

Due to the selected cookie settings, we cannot show this video here.

Watch the video on the original website or

Required documents

To register with a GP, you will need to show your ID (passport or EU ID card) and proof of health insurance

Other healthcare services

For further information on healthcare services, please visit the website for students.

This website uses cookies. More information.