Dutch bank account
Do I need to open a Dutch bank account?
If you have a bank account in a country that is not a member of the Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA)* you are strongly advised to open a Dutch bank account. This is particularly important if you have transferred funds to us for your visa/residence permit application, or have been awarded a scholarship by Leiden University. These funds will be transferred to your Dutch bank account after arrival.
If you have a bank account in a country that is a member of Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA),* it can also be handy to have a Dutch bank account. Many organisations require a Dutch bank account number if you want to become a member or request a card, e.g. public transport organisations.
* SEPA member countries include all EEA member states plus Monaco and Switzerland.
How do I open a Dutch bank account?
The procedures below only apply if you wish to open a bank account at the beginning of the semester (Aug/Sept or Jan/Feb). At other times of the year, please do the following:
To open a student bank account with Rabobank at the beginning of the semester, please follow the steps below.
- Request an appointment for one of the Rabobank intake sessions, organised by Leiden University:
- Appointment system available here a few weeks before the start of each semester.
- After making your appointment you will be directed to a banking form, which you should complete and submit.
- When they have received your completed banking form, Rabobank will set up your bank account.
- Once your account is ready, you will receive an email from Rabobank, inviting you to attend your intake appointment and sign your contract. The location of your appointment in Leiden or The Hague will be provided in the email. Make sure you bring your passport. If you have already been issued with a BSN number (citizen service number) after registration with a Dutch town hall, bring this to your appointment. If you have not yet received your BSN, you can provide this to Rabobank at a later date.
- Your new bank account and bank card will be activated a few days after your intake session.
If you would like further information about opening a Dutch bank account, please send a mail to: email@example.com.