Institute of Environmental Sciences (CML)
CML’s education programme aims at training (under)graduate and graduate students for integrated and multidisciplinary sustainability research and for better decision making in managing the world’s natural resources, environmental quality and biodiversity.
CML acts as the centre for sustainability expertise in education programmes of Leiden University.
In the bachelors curriculum CML offers a general interdisciplinary Minor Sustainable Development. Staffs of the two research programmes of CML, Environmental Biology and Industrial Ecology and staff from other university departments, work together in this minor to offer a comprehensive and analytical view of sustainability issues to students from all faculties.
Furthermore CML participates in the bachelor programmes of:
In the Master curriculum CML offers three programs:
- First of all we offer a joint Master in Industrial Ecology together with Delft University of Technology.
- Connected to this programme we offer an Erasmus Mundus CIRCLE programme which is organised together with among others NTNU, Chalmers (Goteborg, Sweden) and Graz University.
- CML also offers the new Master programme Governance of Sustainability, together with the Faculty of Governance and Global Affairs (The Hague).
- Environmental biology education is one of the core themes of the Biology Master specialisation Biodiversity and Sustainability and this master specialisation aims to discuss and answer these societal relevant biological questions, such as;
- How much biodiversity do we need to ensure that nature functions well?
- What determines the stability of ecosystems?
- How can we quantify ecosystem services?
- Are invasive species always bad for the ecosystem?
- Will species be able to adapt sufficiently fast to global change and what are appropriate measures to facilitate this.
- And, how can we optimize ecosystem functioning and biodiversity for a sustainable society?
Lastly, we also offer a MOOC on a Circular Economy of Metals: towards a Sustainable Societal Metabolism.
Finally CML participates in national and international PhD training programmes. See the PhD progamme of CML.