Joris Larik is Assistant Professor of Comparative, EU and International Law at Leiden University College The Hague (Faculty of Governance and Global Affairs) and the Europa Institute (Leiden Law School). His research focuses on EU external relations law and global governance, on which he also regularly provides high-level policy advice and media commentary. Dr. Larik is the author and editor of several books, including with OUP and CUP, and has published in leading national and international journals. He is a member of Young Academy Leiden and of the Committee on European Integration of the Dutch Advisory Council on International Affairs (AIV).
The UN’s Summit of the Future: Advancing Multilateralism in an Age of Hypercompetitive Geopolitics
Global Governance beyond Covid-19: Recovery and Institutional Revitalisation
Governance and Dispute Settlement in the Ireland/Northern Ireland Protocol
Policy brief on 'Deepening G20-UN System Cooperation to Foster Socio-Economic Recovery from the Pandemic and Reduce Inequality Worldwide'
Beyond UN75: A Roadmap for Inclusive, Networked & Effective Global Governance
Brexit, the EU-UK Withdrawal Agreement, and Global Treaty (Re-)Negotiations
Joris Larik is Assistant Professor of Comparative, EU and International Law at Leiden University College The Hague (Faculty of Governance and Global Affairs) and the Europa Institute (Leiden Law School). He is a member of Young Academy Leiden, the Committee on European Integration of the Dutch Advisory Council on International Affairs (AIV), and the European Commission’s pool of arbitrators for disputes in the framework of bilateral trade agreements.
His research focuses on EU external relations law and global governance. His work has been acknowledged with several awards, including NATO’s Manfred Wörner Essay Award and the Mauro Cappelletti Prize for the Best Doctoral Thesis in Comparative Law from the European University Institute.
Dr. Larik is the author and editor of several books, including with Oxford and Cambridge University Press. He has published in leading international journals, including American Journal of International Law, Common Market Law Review, European Foreign Affairs Review, European Law Review, International & Comparative Law Quarterly, Legal Issues of Economic Integration, Survival, and Yearbook of European Law, and in leading national journals, including Nederlands Juristenblad and SEW–Tijdschrift voor Europees en economisch recht.
Dr. Larik’s national media appearances include NPO Radio 1, Het Parool, Trouw, and Volkskrant. Internationally, he has appeared on Agence France-Presse, Al Jazeera, BBC World Service, CBC News, EU Observer, The Guardian, The Hill, The Irish Times, Radio New Zealand, and Xinhua.
Dr. Larik holds a Ph.D. from the European University Institute (EUI), an M.A. from the College of Europe, an LL.M. from Leiden Law School, and a B.A. from the Zentrum für Internationale Studien, TU Dresden.
Grants and Fellowships
- Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study (NIAS) Research Fellowship (2020/21)
- Global Transformations and Governance Challenges Seed Grant (2020)
- Canadian Department of National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces funded RWE-CAF Research Network (2020)
- Leiden Global Interactions Breed Grant (2018/19)
- Global Challenges Foundation (2018)
- Fulbright-Schuman Fellowship at the Johns Hopkins Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies in Washington, D.C. (2017/18)
- MOOC Production Fellowship from the Stifterverband für die Deutsche Wissenschaft (2013–14)
Dr. Larik is available to supervise PhD students in the areas of:
- EU external relations law and comparative foreign relations law
- Global governance and international (institutional) law
- The Union in the World (LL.M. European Law)
- Foreign Relations Law (LUC The Hague)
- Constitutions and Constitutionalism in a Globalizing World (LUC The Hague)
- Comparative Legal and Economic Integration (LUC The Hague)
- Introduction to the EU as a Global Legal Actor (College of Europe)
- Comparative Foreign Relations Law and Democratic Accountability (Duke-Leiden Institute for Global and Transnational Law)
- Faculty Governance and Global Affairs
- Leiden University College
- Advisering regering en parlement over vraagstukken mbt tot Europese integratie