European and International Business Law (Advanced LL.M.)
The European Union is one of the most influential international organisations in the world. But how does it impact on governance, enterprise and innovation within a global economy, in the area of business law? And how does EU law interact with that of other international organisations?”
Due to the current Corona crisis, this programme will be offered largely online, and where possible in our University buildings during the first semester. For each programme, we are looking at what parts of the teaching can be given in a physical context, such as small work groups. We look forward to welcoming you to Leiden, but should travel restrictions prevent you from coming to the Netherlands, we will be offered the possibility to start online.
Dinara Soorbekova (Russia)
"I have had a magnificent year with EIBL program in Leiden! On the one hand, I had a unique chance to dive into the academic environment in regular classes, and, on the other hand, get the first-hand practical knowledge from guest lectures."
"Specifically, I would like to mention M&A and Capital markets school, that has been a great addition to a well-balanced courses taught within the academic year.
I have already had several years of practical legal experience before applying to EIBL program, however, I have spent the whole academic year learning so much more about various jurisdictions, that I didn't doubt my decision even for a second.
I am extremely grateful to the faculty and staff for all the nice time spent in Leiden Law School!"
Seif Kabil (Egypt)
"Choosing the EIBL programme at Leiden University is one of the best decisions I’ve made. I met fascinating, passionate people from various walks of life and made some life-long friendships while studying in one of the most beautiful towns in the Netherlands."
"The unrivalled quality of teaching on the LLM kept me engaged throughout and the interdisciplinary approach to teaching European law, placing legal developments in a political, social and economic context, gave the programme a rigorous yet practical outlook. The programme also placed the law in a commercial setting, giving me valuable analytical skills I can draw upon daily."
Alena Křížová (Czech Republic)
"I especially enjoyed this programme because of how all the courses “fit” together. Each course, covering a whole new field of law, was partially built on the knowledge gained in the previous courses."
"For this reason I was able to broaden and deepen my knowledge of European and International Business Law simultaneously. This programme offers the perfect preparation for a professional career within the sphere of European and International Business Law. Classes are taught from a very practical perspective and students are encouraged to participate in a great variety of extracurricular activities, such as the European Law Moot Court. I have truly enjoyed my year at Leiden Law School and I would definitely recommend this programme to anyone interested in this field of law."
Students to speak
This video can not be shown because you did not accept cookies.You can leave our website to view this video.
What does this master's programme entail?
As the EU passes a growing number of economic regulations, these mandates increasingly interact with global trade regulations and with those of its Member States. Businesses that operate internationally are faced with various layers of jurisdiction that sometimes have an unclear hierarchy. In the European and International Business Law programme, you will learn how to decipher the complex hierarchy of European and international business law.
You will learn to:
- apply your knowledge of the law, your experience and your skills in a professional environment
- formulate research questions and appropriate strategies for answering these questions and testing hypotheses
- apply adequate legal scientific research methods and tools and to present and communicate results and findings, both in an academic as well as in professional context
Reasons to choose European and International Business Law at Leiden University?
As a student of the advanced master’s European and International Business Law, you will benefit from:
- Excellent reputation: This programme has more than two decades of history and is offered through Leiden Law School’s Europa Institute. The teaching is grounded in the Law School’s distinguished research programme ‘The progression of EU law: accommodating change and upholding values.
- Expert instructors: Courses are taught by expert staff with an international reputation as well as by guest lecturers who hold senior positions with legal firms, international courts or business organisations.
- Moot court skills: You will have the possibility of participating in the European Law Moot Court (ELMC), the most renowned competition in the field of EU law. If you advance to the oral round of the ELMC competition, you will receive training in research, analysis, legal writing and pleading in a simulation of an EU law case. If interested, you may have the opportunity to present at the ELSA Moot Court, which relates to the field of WTO law.
Find more reasons to study European and International Business Law at Leiden University.
Is European and International Business Law the right programme for you?
Are you interested in learning how to navigate conflicts between international trade law and European laws as they reflect on global businesses? This programme will provide you with all the tools to strengthen your keen commercial and business sense.
- You should have a law degree or a sufficient background in law to qualify for admission.
- You can either complete this programme in one year as a full-time student or in two years as a part-time student.
Read more about the entry requirements for European and International Business Law.
Chat with a student
Do you have a question about studying at Leiden University or student life in Leiden? Do you want more information about the European and International Business Law advanced master's programme? Chat with a current student for answers to your questions!