Leiden Institute of Physics
Tatiana Afanassjewa public lectures about physics
The Tatiana Afanassjewa-lecture series is a series of public talks in Dutch by Leiden physicists on wednesday evenings, intended for everyone with an interest in physics.
The lecture series started with Margriet van der Heijden's 19 February lecture about 'Denken is Verrukkelijk', her double biography of physicists Paul Ehrenfest and his wife Tatiana Afanassjewa. Afanassjewa, next to being Ehrenfests wife and sparring partner, was an independent scientist, who made contributions in thermodynamics and the didactics of mathematics. But the Leiden of a century ago did not provide many possibilities for women in science, and there was no job or professional recognition for Afanassjewa.
The name is a belated homage to Afanassjewa and also a nod to the Ehrenfest Colloquium, the interactive physics lectures that Paul Ehrenfest started, which are still being organised. We use the Dutch transcription of her name, which she used herself.
Accessible to everyone
Unless stated otherwise, the lectures are in Dutch, on wednesday evenings.
Please register to be present or to follow the talk through a live stream, using the link in the individual announcements. Or subscribe to the newsletter. LION personnel will get the announcements automatically.
- Wednesday 17 November 2021 19:30 Dirk van Delft about nuclear weapons whistleblower Frits Veerman
- Wednesday 15 December 2021 19:30 Jan van Ruitenbeek about building at atomic scales
- Thursday 28 October 2021 19:30 Martin van Hecke about programmable materials
- Wednesday 6 October 2021 19:30 Alessandra Silvestri about the Evolving Universe (English spoken, video available)
- Friday 28 May 2021 Dorothea Samtleben about KM3NET Underseas Neutrino Telescope (video available)
- Friday 30 April 2021 Dirk van Delft on his new biography of Hendrik van de Hulst
- Friday 19 February 2021 Margriet van der Heijden on Paul Ehrenfest and Tatiana Afanassjewa