Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research
The Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research (LACDR) is responsible for the research and education in Bio-Pharmaceutical Sciences carried out at Leiden University.
LACDR as a research institute works at the leading edge of drug-design and fundamental research of new drugs, improvements and optimisation of existing drugs, and new developments in personalised medicine. Within Leiden University we participate in the research profile area of "Collaborative and effective drug development".
As an academic centre, we are also very strongly involved in education on several levels:
- Training of undergraduate students, to become theoretically and experimentally trained in all relevant aspects of drug research and to gain hands-on experience in specialized research projects, leading to a Masters Degree in Bio-Pharmaceutical Sciences;
- Training of graduate students, to become highly skilled and independent in experimental drug research through a specific 4-year project, leading to publications in international scientific literature and the PhD degree;
- Collaboration with the (pharmaceutical) industry, in joint research projects and consultancies and by offering specialized courses and symposia in relevant areas of drug research.
All executive decisions are made by the Management Team (MT). The MT is responsible for the daily management of the institute, and develops and implements research policies. Being responsible for preparing and executing the decisions of the Institute, any questions on policy and budgetary matters should be referred to the MT.
The MT has regular contact with the Institute Council, the External Scientific Advisory Board, the Research Divisions and the Staff.
The members of the LACDR Management team:
- Director of Research, Prof. dr. Hubertus Irth
- MSc Programme Director/Deputy Scientific Director, Prof. dr. Miranda van Eck
- BSc Programme Director, Prof.dr. Erik Danen
- Institute Manager, Thomas Klompmaker MSc MA
- Manager of the Division of BioTherapeutics Prof. dr. Johan Kuiper
- Manager of the Division of Systems Biomedicine and Pharmacology Prof. dr. Thomas Hankemeier
- Manager of the Division of Drug Discovery & Safety Prof. dr. Bob van de Water
The LACDR Institute Council offers the LACDR Management Team solicited and unsolicited advice on various matters of policy. If you have any matters you would like to bring to the attention of the Institute Council, do not hesitate to contact one of their members.
The Institute Council (IR) of the LACDR is composed of people from all divisions, from all layers of the organisation (including students). The IR aims to serve as a bridge between the ‘working floor’ and the management team of the LACDR. During regular meetings (once every two months), the IR advices the management team of the LACDR and brings points to their attention. Topics that are frequently discussed are: work pressure, education, student numbers, movement to new building, diversity, etc.
Meet us every first Monday of the month
Every first Monday of the month we hold a walk-in/pre-meeting. Please do not hesistate to visit and to discuss any topic or matter you wish! On behalf of all of the IR members.
The current LACDR Institute Council members and their contact details are:
- Sylvia Le Dévédec (chair) - Scientist Manager - Division of Drug Discovery & Safety
- Daan van der Es - Assistant professor - Division of Drug Discovery & Safety
- Alireza Mashaghi Tabari - Assistant Professor - Division of Systems Biomedicine and Pharmacology
- Martin Houde - PostDoc - Division of BioTherapeutics
- Marjo de Graauw - Senior teaching fellow - Education office
- Tim Kloots -Analyst - Division of Systems Biomedicine and Pharmacology
- Tahmina Fariaby - PhD candidate - Division of BioTherapeutics
- Gabriela Arias Alpizar - Postdoc - Division of BioTherapeutics
- Cathy Robbers - Management/office-assistant - Division of Systems Biomedicine and Pharmacology
- Klara Beslmüller - PhD candidate - Division of Drg Discovery & Safety
- Tingjie Guo - Assistant professor - Division of Systems Biomedicine and Pharmacology
Notes from these meetings are available for all LACDR employees, please mail chair Coen van Hasselt via email@example.com if you would like to request a copy.
Paragraph 47 and 48 from "facultair reglement" decribe the responsibilities of the Institute Council in more detail. Below you can find these paragraphs as well as an English Translation.
The Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) of LACDR advises the management team in all strategic matters concerning the core tasks of the institute. In bi-annual meetings the research strategy of the institute, new developments regarding the LACDR teaching program and organizational topics are discussed. SAB members together are representative for LACDR's key stakeholders in academia including medical centers, governmental organization and pharma/biotech industry.
According to faculty regulations, the LACDR SAB has five members, with one member acting as chair. Currently the following SAB members have been appointed:
Frans Russel (Radboud Medical Center, Chair)
Carmen van Vilsteren (Chair Topsector Life Science & Health, Director Health at TU/e and Chair of e/MTIC Board)
Bert Leufkens (Pharmaceutical Policy and Regulatory Science at Utrecht University)
Ton Reinders (Consultant pharma & life sciences, former director of Oncode and Lygature
Bert Tuk (Tuk Consultancy Interim Management)