Philosophy: Global and Comparative Perspectives (BA)
This Philosophy: Global and Comparative Perspectives bachelor's programme is unique in that it offers comparative perspectives from around the world that will enable you to be part of the next generation of thinkers, someone studying and shaping philosophy for a globalised 21st century.
First year student
"I really like the global view in this programme. A lot of Western academy’s still concentrate on Western philosophy and see the Western view as the highest one. It’s clear Leiden doesn’t do that. All different, international, schools of philosophy get attention. It’s wonderful they do this and it’s very useful to keep in touch with globalisation. Actually, I didn’t know much about non-western philosophy before I came here; I was victim of many prejudices. I was really surprised about the different schools of thinking."
“I address questions about the place of human beings in the world, what makes the human experience so special and how do historical and symbolic factors, like culture and myths, make us so different from other living beings?”
Jaap van Diggele
“A background in philosophy is really useful in dealing with other cultures. As well as clearly formulating your own opinions, you learn how to empathise with others and ignore prejudices and one-sided viewpoints.”
Study Philosophy in a global context
Philosophy challenges you to question prejudices and to be open to different perspectives. This philosophy bachelor programme is unique in that it offers a cross-cultural dimension of comparative philosophy in which the world’s thought traditions mutually inform and enrich one another. Studying the philosophies of India, East Asia, and the Arab world alongside those of the West will give you a global context for thought and make you the kind of professional that today’s global world is simply crying out for.
Sign up now for the Experience Day! Visit us on campus in Leiden and get to know more about the programme.
This is Philosophy at Leiden UniversityThis video cannot be shown because you did not accept cookies. Please accept cookies or leave our website to view this video.
Why study Philosophy at Leiden University?
- It’s unique in the Netherlands. It’s also one of only a few programmes in the world to feature thought patterns from India, East Asia, Europe and the Arab world, while all the while focusing on opportunities for interaction and comparison.
- It’s taught in an internationally acclaimed academic environment.
- It favours small tutorial groups that stimulate in-depth discussion and excellent skills training and mentoring by senior students and dedicated lecturers.
Is this the programme for you?
If you can answer “yes” to the following questions, we can safely say that the Philosophy: Global and Comparative Perspectives programme is for you.
- Do you enjoy discussing current issues in science and society?
- Would you like to learn more about the history of the concepts we use to frame those issues and about alternative concepts used in other cultures?
- Do you enjoy high levels of abstraction?
- Do you often feel that current debates fail to address the right questions?
- Are you willing to challenge assumptions?
Experience the programme online
Join our Online Experience and get a taste of our programme.
On campus Experience day
Sign up now for the Experience Day! Visit us on campus in Leiden November 23 and get to know more about the programme.