International Studies (BA)
Are you fascinated by how globalisation affects world regions? Do you want to really understand other cultures from a wide range of perspectives, and apply this knowledge in your future career? Then International Studies is for you!
Bachelor International Studies at Leiden University
This video can not be shown because you did not accept cookies.You can leave our website to view this video.
On campus Experience Day International Studies
Visit International Studies on campus in The Hague at the Experience Day, 9 February 2019 and get to know more about the programme.
Registration & more information
Student International Studies
"International Studies really was the best choice for me! I was expecting a solid programme that looks beyond the borders of politics, history and the economy, but I was surprised to discover that it goes a lot further than that."
Dr. Paula Jordão
Tutor and tutor coordinator International Studies
"With students from around 50 nationalities, the classroom is truly international, which in itself is a unique study experience! By combining a broad basis of knowledge and a specialisation in a particular world region, you learn to think at an international level, without losing sight of what is happening in that region. In sum, you learn how to be an engaged world citizen!"
Alumna International Studies
"If you are looking for a flexible study programme, with many options, international studies is very good place. During the programme, you can develop your interests and figure out what you would like to do in the future. What has been very important to me during my study is all the support that you get from the staff. There is a very personal relationship between students and teachers and you get the feeling of a tightly knit community. As a newcomer to the Netherlands, you are welcomed very well. You get a lot of support, for example with housing."
Why study International Studies?
- The Bachelor’s in International Studies is a 3-year English-taught programme that offers you the opportunity to study the issues and effects of globalisation by focusing on one of eight world regions.
- You develop expertise ranging from proficiency in one of your chosen region’s languages to an in-depth understanding of its culture, history, politics and economy.
- Unique to any Humanities programme, this BA integrates real hands-on experience of working with organisations and businesses into its curriculum.
Why International Studies at Leiden University?
Do you want to gain deep, broad knowledge about a particular world region, in a globalised context? International Studies is for you!
- Study in The Hague, the centre of international politics and policy-making in the Netherlands.
- Choose to specialise in one of eight world regions.
- Learn a language from your chosen region.
- Develop a global mindset in an international classroom.
- Benefit from the strong career focus that is integrated into this programme, including the culminating PRINS consultancy course.
- Study at a top-ranking university: in 2017 the Guardian QS World University Rankings placed Leiden #26 in the world, #7 in Europe and #1 in the Netherlands in political and International Studies.
Is this the programme for you?
International Studies offers a unique mix of multidisciplinary perspectives - history, culture, economics, politics – of a particular world region, and the language, academic and practical skills to solve complex issues arising from globalisation.
- Do you pay close attention to world news?
- Do you look for connections between world and regional events and their impact on local populations?
- Do you want to develop professional skills and hands-on experience working with real global organisations?
Then International Studies is for you!
Check out the International Studies programme.
Online Experience International Studies
Want to know if this is the right study for you? Check out our online experience and find out more. This experience consists of online mini-courses with a few assignments.
Take the online experience!