International Studies (BA)
- The Hague
Are you fascinated by other cultures and how they are affected by globalisation? Do you want to really understand a particular area from a wide range of perspectives, and apply this knowledge in your future career? Then International Studies is for you!
Student International Studies
"International Studies really was the best choice for me! I was expecting a solid programme that looks beyond the borders of politics, history and the economy, but I was surprised to discover that it goes a lot further than that."
Dr. Paula Jordão
Tutor and tutor coordinator International Studies
"With students from around 50 nationalities, the classroom is truly international, which in itself is a unique study experience! By combining a broad basis of knowledge and a specialisation in a particular world region, you learn to think at an international level, without losing sight of what is happening in that region. In sum, you learn how to be an engaged world citizen!"
Alumna International Studies
"If you are looking for a flexible study programme, with many options, international studies is very good place. During the programme, you can develop your interests and figure out what you would like to do in the future. What has been very important to me during my study is all the support that you get from the staff. There is a very personal relationship between students and teachers and you get the feeling of a tightly knit community. As a newcomer to the Netherlands, you are welcomed very well. You get a lot of support, for example with housing."
Why study International Studies?
The Bachelor’s in International Studies is a 3-year English-taught programme that offers you the opportunity to study the issues and effects of globalisation by focusing on one of eight world regions. You develop expertise ranging from proficiency in one of your chosen region’s languages to an in-depth understanding of its culture, history, politics and economy. Unique to any Humanities programme, this BA integrates real hands-on experience of working with organisations and businesses into its curriculum.
Bachelor International Studies at Leiden University
Why International Studies at Leiden University?
- This programme is taught in The Hague, the centre of international politics and policy-making in the Netherlands;
- 50% of students are international, providing diverse perspectives in the classroom;
- The unique Practising International Studies (PRINS) course gives 3rd-year students hands-on experience working as consultants on a real business case presented by a ‘client’ organisation such as Shell, Transparency International, or Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
- Small-scale tutorials (12-15 students) ensure individual attention;
- Top-class lecturers.
Is this the programme for you?
International Studies offers a unique mix of multidisciplinary perspectives - history, culture, economics, politics – of a particular world region, and the language, academic and practical skills to solve complex issues arising from globalisation.
- Do you pay close attention to world news?
- Do you look for connections between world and regional events and their impact on local populations?
- Do you want to develop professional skills and hands-on experience working with real global organisations?
Then International Studies is for you!