Arts, Media and Society (BA)
Nowadays, the arts and media are inextricably connected to the society in which we live. The Arts, Media and Society bachelor’s programme will take you on an enlightening journey during which you’ll explore the issues in society we currently face from the perspectives of the arts and the media.
This video can not be shown because you did not accept cookies.You can leave our website to view this video.
Why study Arts, Media and Society?
By providing a unique view on complex issues, art plays a distinct and highly relevant role in today’s society. It is also an indispensable force for good in any democratic society. In the Arts, Media and Society bachelor’s programme you’ll see how contemporary art engages with society about global issues, such as terrorism, biotechnology, ecology, and politics. You’ll also learn how art, film, photography and digital media are shaping our society and how the arts and media can help provide strategies for social and political activism.
Zofia van der Kroft
first year student
"I visited the Open Day in Leiden and within the first five minutes of the presentation of AMS, I knew this was the right programme for me. It combined all of my interests: arts (with a focus on modern art), a bit of politics and societal issues. The Open Day was also useful because I got the chance to talk to students about their experiences and get a bit of feel for the atmosphere at the university. It was very welcoming."
"The combination of study components in this bachelor’s really appeals to me. I like art, I like media and I also like society. But I don't like art enough to study art history alone, so this is a perfect solution. The interaction between media and society and the multidisciplinary approach to art, is, I think, a very interesting element of this programme. That makes it fun to go to the lectures."
Professor New Media and Digital Culture
"The Arts, Media and Society programme is an English-taught track of the Art History programme with an obvious leaning towards the roles of contemporary art and media in society. It is a highly contemporary study that combines perspectives from many different humanities fields, but it’s firmly anchored in a historical context. We want to make students aware of the history of art and cultural expression so they understand them in all their contemporary complexities."
Why Arts, Media and Society at Leiden University?
- It’s a small-scale, highly international programme taught in English and linked to Leiden University’s globally acclaimed bachelor’s programme in Art History.
- You will be based in the beautiful city of Leiden, close to great contemporary museums and media institutions in Leiden, Amsterdam and Rotterdam.
- The programme can fall back on an extensive national and international network of scholars, artists and scientists. They are regularly invited into our classrooms to lecture on what they do and share their thoughts and experiences with our students.
Is this programme for you?
If you can answer “yes” to the following questions, we can safely say that the Arts, Media and Society programme is for you.
- Do you care about the challenges we face today and are you fascinated by the way that art and artists comment on these challenges?
- Do you want to understand the place of contemporary media in society and art?
- Would you like to discover the relevance of arts and media in society?
- Do you feel at home in an intercultural and interdisciplinary environment?
- Are you fascinated by the influence of art on challenges in society?
Check out the structure of the programme.
Experience the programme online
Want to know if Arts, Media and Society is the right programme for you? Join our Online Experience and get a taste of our programme.This experience consists of online mini-courses with a few assignments, just as if they were real first-year courses.
Chat with a student
Do you have a question about studying at leiden University or student life in Leiden? Do you want more information about the Ars, Media and Society programme? Chat with a current student for answers to your questions!