Why Leiden University?
High-quality education, a broad choice of bachelor’s programmes and personal support in a student city. And that’s just for starters. Leiden University offers you the ideal basis for enjoying the time of your life and a world-class career.
6 reasons to choose Leiden University
1. Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands and enjoys an excellent reputation built up over more than four centuries. We attach great value to freedom of spirit, thought and speech. We do not shy away from difficult discussions. What binds us is the search for solutions for current global challenges, a search that we conduct with an open mind.
2. A top-ranked university: For many years, we’ve been among the leaders in Dutch university rankings and among the top 100 universities worldwide in 3 prominent international rankings. Our academic staff include many top scholars with an international reputation of excellence.
3. Is it your ambition to be an archaeologist, arts curator, communications specialist, security adviser, or perhaps a clinical psychologist? We offer upwards of 50 bachelor’s programmes, 14 of which are taught in English, and approximately 75 master’s programmes: you’re certain to find one that suits you. What’s more, in many of our programmes you yourself select some of the courses you will follow.
4. You receive a truly international experience with almost 4.000 internationals students and 120 nationalities. We are a small-scale academic community where there is room for personal contact and regard for your talents and opportunities. Together, we map out a learning path that suits you and your ambitions. If you’re keen to venture further afield, our global network of over 600 universities and partnerships will make studying abroad a truly unforgettable experience.
5. We give our students and researchers the space and the resources to excel. You will have the chance to closely interact with Leiden’s scholars and thinkers and we will encourage you to conduct your own research. Maybe you’ll be the 17th Leiden alumnus to win a Nobel Prize. If not, Leiden University alumni are found in all professional walks of life and they can count on excellent opportunities in the job market.
6. Leiden and The Hague are real student cities, centrally located in the lively heart of the Netherlands, and have everything you’ll need to turn your time as a student into the time of your life. Leiden has over 20 student associations and its compact centre is full of cafés, many of which are popular haunts for students. The Hague, Leiden University’s second location, is the Netherlands’ fastest-growing student city and has international allure.
Student International Relations and Organisations
"I find Leiden University to be very liberating. It’s a place where you’re free to express your opinion and are expected to be open to other people’s opinion. Everybody who attends ultimately wants to make the world a better place with future jobs they’re aiming for. That common goal gives a sense of collectiveness. I like the fact that the university is a catalyst of tolerance."
"There is a nice mix of lectures and tutorials, and I like the interaction between students and lecturers in the tutorials. Those are small groups, so there is more room for personal contact, which keeps you engaged. Also, thanks to those small groups it’s easy to get to know people. I now study a lot with the people I got to know through the tutorials, and we keep each other motivated."
Laura Keidann Rodrigues da Silva
Student English Language and Culture
"Leiden and The Hague have a strong international focus and has a rich university history. Leiden University has good rankings and gets positive feedback from people who studied there before me."
Where do our international students come from?
Leiden University has international students from about 120 countries. The top 5 countries with the most bachelor students currently studying at Leiden University:
- 20.6 % Germany
- 8.9 % United Kingdom
- 7.3 % Italy
- 5.7 % France
- 4.9 % Belgium