To be eligible for one of Leiden University’s master's programmes, you must meet the following admission requirements.
You’ll need a BA or BSc degree (or equivalent) to be admitted to any of Leiden University’s master’s programmes.
For admission to most master’s programmes you must be proficient in English. The types of English test accepted are listed below. For detailed information, including exemption criteria and methods of submission, refer to English language proficiency.
English tests accepted
Note that English test results may not be more than two years old. The following types of English test are accepted:
- IELTS: Academic
- We do not accept new IELTS Academic Online.
- We do not accept IELTS General Training or IELTS Indicator
- TOEFL: internet based
- We do not accept the following types of test: TOEFL My Best ™ scores (multiple test scores combined), TOEFL Essentials™ or institutional tests such as ITP.
- We do not accept The TOEFL IBT Home Edition™, except in the following situations only:
- You took the test before 1 Sept 2022 (and it is not more than 2 years old), or
- you are unable to take an in-person test on location because test centres are inaccessible or closed due to unsafe conditions in a country.
- Cambridge English Exam C2 Proficiency or C1 Advanced, depending on admission criteria
Proficiency in other languages
For some master’s programmes you must also be proficient in other languages. You can find the exact language requirements for your chosen master’s programme in the programme description.
The specific academic and professional entry requirements for each master’s programme are listed under each programme description.