Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Admission requirements

Admission as a study abroad or exchange student is based on a number of factors.

1. Nomination by your home university

Only required for exchange students. 

2. Academic requirements

  • You should have completed at least two years of university education
  • You must have a GPA of at least 3.2 out of 4.0 (or equivalent)
  • Your academic background must be relevant to the courses you are applying for

3. English language requirements

The minimum test scores required are:

  • TOEFL: 90 (internet-based) and 575 (paper-based). We do not accept TOEFL ITP (institutional) tests.
    Please ask the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to send your scores directly to us (Leiden University TOEFL institution code: 0504).
  • IELTS Academic: 6.5
  • Cambridge CAE (Certificate of Advanced English): 180
  • Cambridge CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English)

Test results should be no more than two years old. 

An English language test result is not required if: 

  • you have completed your secondary education in Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, the UK or the USA 
  • you have an International Baccalaureate diploma. 

If you are an Erasmus+ student, please ask your home coordinator whether you need to supply a test report.

Are you a Chinese national? Then you also need to get a Nuffic Certificate. Please read more on the Nuffic website.

4. Course capacity

Admission to a specific course will also depend on the maximum number of students each class can accommodate.

5. Exchange agreements

If the exchange agreement between Leiden University and your home university is limited to a specific field or discipline, you do not automatically have the right to enrol in courses offered by other faculties or departments.

This website uses cookies. More information.