Admission as a study abroad or exchange student is based on a number of factors.
1. Nomination by home university (only for students from partner universities)
- Not applicable for independent fee-paying study abroad students, or if you are applying for a traineeship, research project or internship.
- Be aware that some exchange agreements are limited to a specific faculty or discipline, which means you will not be able to follow courses at other faculities/institutes. Check with your home university coordinator whether there are limitations on the type of courses you may follow.
2. Academic requirements
- You should have completed at least two years of university education.
- You must have a GPA of at least 3.2 out of 4.0 (or equivalent).
- Your academic background must be relevant to the courses you are applying for. For some courses, specific prerequisite knowledge is required – see the prospectus for details.
3. English language requirements
The minimum test scores required are:
- TOEFL: 90 (internet-based) or 575 (paper-based).
- We do not accept TOEFL My Best ™ scores (multiple test scores combined). The sufficient score must be obtained in one individual test.
- We are able to accept the TOEFL Special Home Edition™ for admission to the academic years 2020-2021 and 2021-2022.
- Please ask the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to send your scores directly to us (Leiden University TOEFL institution code: 0504).
- IELTS Academic: 6.5
- Cambridge CAE (Certificate of Advanced English): minum score of 180
- Cambridge CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English)
- Test results may be no more than two years old.
- Institutional tests, such as ITP-TOEFL, cannot be accepted.
- Chinese students should take either an IELTS or a TOEFL internet-based test, then apply for a Nuffic certificate.
Submitting an English language test result is not required if:
- You are an Erasmus+ applicant and have been granted exemption from submitting an English test by your home university coordinator.
Note that Erasmus+ International Credit Mobility students are not exempted.
- You have completed your secondary education in Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, the UK or the USA.
- You have an (English-taught) International Baccalaureate secondary school diploma.