Application is split into two important steps, each with its own deadline:
1. Nomination / Pre-application deadline
Before you can apply, Leiden University must first receive:
- A nomination from your home university: only for students from partner universities, or
- Your pre-application form: only for independent fee-paying students and students applying for a traineeship, research project or internship.
The deadline for nominations or pre-applications is:
- Fall semester (starting in September): 1 March
- Spring semester (starting in February): 15 September
- Other start dates: at least 5 months prior to your proposed start date.
2. Application deadline
Once your nomination or pre-application has been verified, you will receive instructions to submit your online application.
The deadline for online applications is:
- Fall semester (starting in September): 1 April
- Spring semester (starting in February): 15 October
- Other start dates: at least 4 months prior to your proposed start date.
You are highly advised to apply as early as possible. Courses have a limited capacity and places are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. If you apply at the last minute, it can be challenging to gain admission to sufficient courses. You will also have less time to arrange important pre-departure practicalities, such as housing.
Late nominations and applications
If you are not able to apply on time due to the nomination process at your home university, ask your coordinator to let us know as soon as possible. Be aware that late nominations/applications can only be considered in exceptional cases and at the discretion of Leiden University.