Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to the most frequently asked questions about the Sweat Room.
If your question isn’t here, please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What is a tag?
- How do I add my tag in the digital Sweat Room?
- What happens when I add my tag with LinkedIn?
- Why ask my date of birth?
- Why are my details included in the database?
- Can anyone add his or her signature?
- I've put my tag in the wrong place. How can I move it?
- I've added my tag, but I want to remove it. Can I do that?
- Where should I add my tag if I don't know where my signature is, or if I can no longer find it?
- I obtained my 'doctoraal', master's or PHD in Leiden but I've never written my signature on the wall of the Sweat Room. May I now add a tag in the digital Sweat Room?
- Which of my details are visible to other visitors?
- How can I search for other alumni?
- I graduated recently but I can't find my signature on the wall of the digital Sweat Room. Why is that?
- Where can I find more information about the Sweat Room?
- Go to www.hetzweetkamertje.nl
- Use your mouse or navigate with the arrow buttons in the left-hand menu to find the spot where you wrote your signature. You can zoom in or out by clicking on the + and - in the left-hand menu.
- Click on the pencil at the bottom of the screen to add a tag.
- Then click on the spot where your signature is to place the pencil there.
- Decide whether or not you want to use your LinkedIn profile to place your tag.
- Then enter the details requested and click on Save.
- Done! Your tag has now been placed and your signature can now be found in the digital Sweat Room.
What happens when I add my tag with LinkedIn?
If you place your tag with LinkedIn, your LinkedIn profile will be used to enter your name, date of birth (if available) and email address in the personal details form. Your LinkedIn profile photo will also be added to your tag.
When other people click on your tag, they will see your photo, name, employer and location. They can also easily click through to your LinkedIn profile. It’s a good way of getting in touch with the people you studied with and seeing what they are doing now!
More information can be found on the university website.
Why ask my date of birth?
Just as in the real Sweat Room, only Leiden alumni are allowed to tag their signatures on the walls of the digital Sweat Room. A check is made on everyone who places a tag to make sure they are in the alumni database and we need your date of birth so that this check can be as conclusive as possible. If the database contains several people with the same Christian and surname, we can then use the date of birth to identify the relevant person.
Why are my details included in the database?
We at Leiden University are proud of all our alumni and we want to stay in touch with you. The contact details of alumni are kept up to date in the alumni database so that we can send you the alumni magazine Leidraad, for example, and keep you informed about coming alumni events. Faculties and programme departments also use the alumni database when they want to get in touch with former students.
The details you enter in the digital Sweat Room will be added to your details in the alumni database. You can, of course, let us know if you no longer wish to receive post or emails from the University. Just send an email to: email@example.com.
Can anyone add his or her signature?
Just as in the real Sweat Room, only Leiden alumni are allowed to tag their signatures in the digital Sweat Room. Although it is possible for people who are not Leiden alumni to place a tag, all the tags will be checked against the alumni database. If the person in question does not appear in the database, we will contact him or her to verify the situation and if necessary have the tag removed.
I’ve put my tag in the wrong place. How can I move it?
If you placed your tag with LinkedIn, you can place a new tag in the right place and opt again for placement with LinkedIn. Your old tag will be removed automatically and replaced by the new one.
If you placed your tag without LinkedIn, please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org. We can then remove your tag, so that you can place a new one in the right spot.
If you haven’t yet saved your tag (you are still in the process of filling in the personal details form), you can remove your tag by clicking on the cross (x) in the left-hand menu. Then navigate to the right spot on the wall and place a new tag.
I’ve placed a tag, but I want to remove it. Can I do that?
If you no longer want your tag to be visible on the wall of the digital Sweat Room, you can contact us via email@example.com , indicating your name and date of birth. We will then remove your tag for you as soon as possible.
Where should I place my tag if I don’t know where my signature is, or if I can no longer find it?
If you can’t find your signature or you don’t remember where you wrote it, you can add a tag roughly where you think it should be.
I obtained my ‘doctoraal’, master’s or PhD in Leiden, but I’ve never written my signature on the wall of the Sweat Room. May I now add a tag in the digital Sweat Room?
Yes, you may! If you have never written your signature on the walls of the Sweat Room, but were entitled to do so, you can place your tag on the ceiling of the digital Sweat Room.
If you would like to add your signature in the real-life Sweat Room, that’s possible too. Please contact the alumni office via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Which of my details are visible to other visitors?
That depends on how you place your tag: with or without LinkedIn.
If you placed your tag with LinkedIn, when people click on your tag, your profile photo, name, employer and location will be visible. They can also click further to your LinkedIn profile.
If you placed your tag without LinkedIn, people will only see your name and employer (if you entered them on the form).
I graduated recently but can’t find my signature on the wall of the digital Sweat Room. Why is that?
A special, high-resolution 360 ̊ photo had to be made for the digital Sweat Room, which meant that the Sweat Room had to be closed for a day so that the photo could be made. That was in the summer of 2016, when there were no graduations. If you graduated after that time, unfortunately you won’t be able to find your signature. But you can still add a tag at the spot where you wrote your signature.
Where can I find more information about the Sweat Room
This article tells you about the history and tradition of the Sweat Room.