Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to the most frequently asked questions about the Sweat Room.
If your question isn’t here, please contact us via email@example.com.
- What is a tag?
- How do I add my tag in the digital Sweat Room?
- What happens when I add my tag with LinkedIn?
- Why ask my date of birth?
- Why are my details included in the database?
- Can anyone add his or her signature?
- I've put my tag in the wrong place. How can I move it?
- I've added my tag, but I want to remove it. Can I do that?
- Where should I add my tag if I don't know where my signature is, or if I can no longer find it?
- I obtained my 'doctoraal', master's or PHD in Leiden but I've never written my signature on the wall of the Sweat Room. May I now add a tag in the digital Sweat Room?
- Which of my details are visible to other visitors?
- How can I search for other alumni?
- I graduated recently but I can't find my signature on the wall of the digital Sweat Room. Why is that?
- Where can I find more information about the Sweat Room?
- Go to www.hetzweetkamertje.nl
- In the upper right corner, click on the 'Place your tag' button.
- Decide whether or not you want to use your LinkedIn profile to place your tag.
- Then enter the details requested.
- Use your mouse or fingers on a touchscreen to find the spot where you wrote your signature and drag your pencil/tag to the right spot. Click 'Add tag here' in the bottom right corner.
- Done! Your tag has now been placed and your signature can now be found in the digital Sweat Room.
What happens when I add my tag with LinkedIn?
If you place your tag with LinkedIn, your LinkedIn profile will be used to enter your name, date of birth (if available), email address, location, company and titel in the personal details form (editable information). Your LinkedIn profile photo will also be added to your tag.
When other people click on your tag, they will see your photo, name, employer and location. They can also easily click through to your LinkedIn profile. It’s a good way of getting in touch with the people you studied with and seeing what they are doing now!
More information can be found on the university website.
Why ask my date of birth?
Just as in the real Sweat Room, only Leiden alumni are allowed to tag their signatures on the walls of the digital Sweat Room. A check is made on everyone who places a tag to make sure they are in the alumni database and we need your date of birth so that this check can be as conclusive as possible. If the database contains several people with the same name and surname, we can then use the date of birth to identify the relevant person.
Why are my details included in the database?
We at Leiden University are proud of all our alumni and we want to stay in touch with you. The contact details of alumni are kept up to date in the alumni database so that we can send you the alumni magazine Leidraad, for example, and keep you informed about coming alumni events. Faculties and programme departments also use the alumni database when they want to get in touch with former students.
The details you enter in the digital Sweat Room will be added to your details in the alumni database. You can, of course, let us know if you no longer wish to receive post or emails from the University. Just send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can anyone add his or her signature?
Just as in the real Sweat Room, only Leiden alumni are allowed to tag their signatures in the digital Sweat Room. Although it is possible for people who are not Leiden alumni to place a tag, all the tags will be checked against the alumni database. If the person in question does not appear in the database, we will contact him or her to verify the situation and if necessary have the tag removed.
I’ve put my tag in the wrong place. How can I move it?
If you placed your tag in the wrong place, you can contact us on via email@example.com. Add your full name and date of birth to the e-mail. We will remove your tage so that you can place a new one.
I’ve placed a tag, but I want to remove it. Can I do that?
If you no longer want your tag to be visible on the wall of the digital Sweat Room, you can contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating your name and date of birth. We will then remove your tag for you as soon as possible.
Where should I place my tag if I don’t know where my signature is, or if I can no longer find it?
If you can’t find your signature or you don’t remember where you wrote it, you can add a tag roughly where you think it should be.
I obtained my ‘doctoraal’, master’s or PhD in Leiden, but I’ve never written my signature on the wall of the Sweat Room. May I now add a tag in the digital Sweat Room?
Yes, you may! If you have never written your signature on the walls of the Sweat Room, but were entitled to do so, you can place your tag on the ceiling of the digital Sweat Room.
If you would like to add your signature in the real-life Sweat Room, that’s possible too. Please contact the alumni office via email@example.com.
Which of my details are visible to other visitors?
That depends on how you place your tag: with or without LinkedIn.
If you placed your tag with LinkedIn, when people click on your tag, your profile photo, name, employer and location will be visible. They can also click further to your LinkedIn profile.
If you placed your tag without LinkedIn, people will only see your name and employer (if you entered them on the form).
I graduated recently but can’t find my signature on the wall of the digital Sweat Room. Why is that?
A special, high-resolution 360 ̊ photo had to be made for the digital Sweat Room, which meant that the Sweat Room had to be closed for a day so that the photo could be made. That was in the summer of 2016, when there were no graduations. If you graduated after that time, unfortunately you won’t be able to find your signature. But you can still add a tag at the spot where you wrote your signature.
Where can I find more information about the Sweat Room
You will find more information about the history and tradition of the Sweat Room on the website itself. Click on the menu button in the upper right corner and choose 'About the Sweat Room'.