International Relations (MA)
About the programme
The one-year Master’s in International Relations offers an exciting and challenging mix of theoretical knowledge and practical experience.
The programme offers five specialisations:
- Culture and Politics considers critical perspectives on culture as an inextricable part of global politics.
- In European Union Studies we offer the only general MA-level study of the European Union in the Netherlands. It is an interdisciplinary programme in which you will concentrate on issues that make up the core concern of European integration.
- Global Conflict in the Modern Era investigates different perspectives on security from a multidisciplinary and global angle.
- Global Order in Historical Perspective examines the social construction and the normative system created in the pursuit of global justice in a variety of areas.
- Global Political Economy engages with the governance, structure, history and development of the global economy from a variety of theoretical standpoints and competing disciplinary and regional perspectives.
All specialisations (except European Union Studies) follow the same format:
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Core course for your specialisation (10 EC)||Regionalism in World Politics (5 EC)|
|Preparatory course for your thesis (5 EC)||Elective (10 EC)|
|Ideas in World Politics (5 EC)||Thesis (15 EC)|
|Elective (10 EC)|
"As a multidisciplinary programme, the Master's in International Relations offers an ideal environment to study phenomena that challenge traditional, state-centric understandings of international relations such as the increasing role of non-state actors in international security."
For a detailed programme, see the Prospectus of the specialisation of your interest. Please note that the programme in the Prospectus shows the content of the current academic year.