Jessie Pool is a PhD.-fellow at the Department of Company Law since 2018. Her empirical research focuses on private enforcement of directors’ duties in the vicinity of insolvency by the insolvency practitioner.
Jessie Pool is a Ph.D.-Fellow (junior researcher and lecturer) at the company law department of Leiden University since 2018. Her empirical research focuses on directors’ duties in the vicinity of insolvency and the enforcement of these duties by the insolvency practitioner. Jessie uses a mixed methods approach and combines the quantitative analysis of bankruptcy reports with the qualitative analysis of interviews with insolvency practitioners. She is involved in teaching the masters course on research methods end regularly teaches post-academic courses for practitioners.
Jessie obtained her double bachelor’s degree in Dutch Law and Economics & Business Economics at the Erasmus University Rotterdam in 2016. In 2018, she obtained her master’s degree in company law (cum laude). Her thesis on guarantees for unsecured creditors in a pre-pack insolvency was assessed with an 8,5/10. During her study, she has followed several internships at international law firms at the insolvency law and financial law practices. She has worked as a court clerk at the insolvency department of the court of Rotterdam. She has also contributed to a research project at KPMG on long-term value creation by increasing the value of life through Philips products, which project has enlarged her experience with empirical research methods. Jessie first worked as a student-assistant at Leiden University where she contributed to the launch of the Business & Liability Research Network.
- Interdisciplinary Activity Grant
- Nomination Gouden Zandloper (Legal Business Game)
Recent research presentations
- The insolvency practitioner as private enforcer of directors’ duties: an empirical analysis, Symposium Stichting Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek (Notarieel) Ondernemingsrecht in Amsterdam (2020);
- The insolvency practitioner and the assesment of directors’ conduct: a mixed methods approach, Symposium ‘Synergie tussen Empirical Legal Studies en klassiek juridisch onderzoek’ in Leiden (2019);
- The insolvency practitioner’s perspective on directors’ duties in the vicinity of insolvency: An empirical approach, INSOL International Academics’ Colloquium in Singapore (2019).
- Redactiesecretaris Tijdschrift voor Insolventierecht
- Redacteur - Maandblad voor Ondernemingsrecht (MvO)