Faculty of Science
Awards and Grants 2023
On this page you will find an overview of awards and prizes granted to our staff and students in 2022, as well as special appointments at Leiden University and other institutions.
- A NWO grant for building instruments for the biggest telescope in the world.
- A NWO grant for Organ models based on human stemcells.
- Anne Wentink got a Vidi from NWO for her research in proteinfibers.
- Sjoert van Velzen got a Vidi from NWO to solve the ‘mystery from the universe’.
- Mariska Kriek got a Vici from NWO for het research in the origin of the solar system.
- AI-program ROBUST got a NWO grant.
- Ludwig Hoffmann got a Rubiconbeurs from NWO and ZonMw for his research in biological materials.
- Erin Faught got a Veni from NWO for her research in cortisol.
- Peter Koymans got a Veni from NWO for his research in arithmetic statistics.
- Pavel Mancera Piña got a Veni from NWO for his research in the motions of the gas and stars in galaxies.
- Nathaniel Martin and his team received an NWO grant to examine how blocking a specific enzyme in our body, NNMT, could be helpful in the treatment of some cancers.
- Xiaoyang Zhong won the Stans Award for best paper for his research: 'Increasing material efficiencies of buildings to address the global sand crisis.'
- Kevin & Marvin Groen won the outreach Stans Award for their book 'The Wild Wild East' about their journey in Eastern Europe.
- Paul Behrens and his team won the Frontiers Planet Prize for their research in the effects about the transfer to a vegan diet.
- Auke-Florian Hiemstra won Person of the Year.
- Ester van der Voet got the International Society Award in Industrial Ecology.
- Gerard van Westen won the KNCV Gold Medal for his research in AI in drug development.
- Nienke van der Marel received the New Horizons Prize for her research in planet formation.
- Gianne Derks was appointed Scientific Director of the Mathematical Institute.
- René Kleijn was appointed professor of Future proof raw material supply.
- Rawi Ramautar was appointed Programme Director of the bachelor Bio-Farmaceutical Sciences.
- Marcello Bonsangue was appointed Scientific Director of the LIACS institute.
- Michiel Hogerheijde was appointed Programme Director at the bachelor Astronomy.
- Michel Mandjes was appointed professor of Probability and Operations Research.