Leiden University College The Hague
Research at LUC fits within the general frame of global challenges that is central to our teaching program, covering major societal issues including Peace & Justice, Diversity, Prosperity, and Sustainability.
LUC employs ca. 30 permanent assistant and associate professors who engage in research in their respective disciplines that span the Humanities, Social Sciences, and Natural Sciences, and often also across the boundaries of different fields in interdisciplinary collaborations within and outside of the College. Key research themes include international relations and conflict studies, international justice, governance and development, earth, energy, and sustainability, human diversity and belonging, and global public health. See also the research dossier about several key themes within our research program.
Selection of recent publications
- Behrens, P., Kiefte-de Jong J.C., Bosker T., Rodrigues J.F.D., Koning, A de, & Tukker A. (2017). Evaluating the environmental impacts of dietary recommendations. PNAS, 201711889
- Ehrhardt, D. (2017) Indigeneship, bureaucratic discretion, and institutional change in northern Nigeria. African Affairs 116.464: 462-483.
- Frettingham E.J. & Hwang Y. (2017), Religion and National Identity in Taiwan: State Formation and Moral Sensibilities. In: Frettingham E.J., Hwang, Y. (Eds.) Religion and Nationalism in Chinese Societies. Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press. 339-372.
- Futak-Campbell, B. (2018) Practising EU foreign policy: Russia and the eastern neighbours, Manchester: Manchester University Press.
- Gandhi, A. (2017) "The Sanctioning State: Official Permissiveness and Prohibition in India." Focaal: Journal of Global and Historical Anthropology no. 77 (Spring): 8-21.
- Klerk, J. de, & Moyer E. (2017) "A Body Like a Baby": Social Self-Care among Older People with Chronic HIV in Mombasa. Med Anthropol. 36(4) pp. 305-318.
- Larik J.E. & Singh A. (2017), Sustainability in Oceans Governance: Small Islands, Emerging Powers, and Connecting Regions, Global Policy 8(2): 213-215.
- Lots, F.A.E., Behrens P., Vijver M.G., Horton A.A., & Bosker T. (2017). A large-scale investigation of microplastic contamination: Abundance and characteristics of microplastics in European beach sediment. Mar. Poll. Bull. 123, 219-226
- Vicherat-Mattar, D. (2017) "Speaking walls: Contentious memories in Belfast’s murals". In S. Awad and B. Wagoner (Eds.) Street Art of Resistance. Palgrave.
- Suhrke, A., Wimpelmann, T., & Samset I. (2017). Violent conflict and intervention. In: Burnell P., Randall V., Rakner L. (Eds.) Politics in the Developing World. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Zetland, D. (2017). Desalination and the commons: tragedy or triumph?. International Journal of Water Resources Development 33.6: 890-906.