Linguistics (research) (MA)
About the programme
The Research Master in Linguistics is a specialised research-based programme offered at the Leiden University Centre for Linguistics (LUCL). This two-year programme is designed to prepare students for a career in research and is based on the expertise present within LUCL, specifically in the areas of language diversity and the languages of the world.
You will gain advanced academic skills in the interpretation of texts and you will learn to independently conduct high-quality scientific research.
The two-year research master’s programme in Linguistics consists of core courses, short topics courses, electives and an academic thesis.
During your studies you will take:
- Two core courses: one will introduce you to the cutting-edge research of leading scholars in linguistic sub-disciplines present at Leiden University, and the research methods employed in them, while the other provides overviews of the structure of five non-European languages by experts working on languages all over the world.
- Two short topics courses taught by experienced researchers on recent developments in the field.
- Courses from Summer and Winter Schools of the Netherlands Graduate School of Linguistics (LOT).
- Electives from any of the specialisations within the Master's in Linguistics programme with a worth of 50 EC (of the 120 EC). You may also replace an elective course with an internship in a research project or at an organisation.
- A thesis based on original research.
- Internship options
- Peer feedback and assessment
- Essays, reports and final thesis
- Oral presentations
For a detailed programme, see the Prospectus. Please note that this guide applies to the current academic year, which means that the curriculum for next year may slightly differ.
Researcher and University Lecturer
"All students who choose Leiden's Linguistics (research) are passionate and curious about the enormous communicative and linguistic diversity in the world and benefit from the wide range of languages and linguistic approaches on offer in Leiden. Students critically reflect on the key role of the languages sciences in understanding human nature, and addressing contemporary socio-cultural challenges."
"We offer an exceptional range of subject areas and theoretical approaches, due to our affiliation with the Leiden University's Centre for Linguistics (LUCL). The Linguistics specialisation offers thematic programmes that you can choose from, which represent the different specialisations within the university's centre for linguistics and the programme. There are also a lot of experimental labs within the institute and programme. This way, you can as a MA student get hands-on experience with experimental research in several labs. You also have to possibility to do field work, such as individual projects or an internship."