Professor of Austronesian and Papuan Linguistics
Marian Klamer is Professor of Austronesian and Papuan Linguistics at the Leiden University Institute for Area Studies.
Current Research Projects
Fields of interest
- Papuan and Austronesian languages, including Malay varieties, as spoken in Eastern Indonesia
- Language contact and change, typology
- Kaiping, Gereon & Klamer, Marian (eds.). 2017. LexiRumah. Database with words for 600 concepts in 120 language varieties of the Lesser Sunda islands in Indonesia. Leiden: Leiden University Centre for Linguistics. Available online at http://www.model-ling.eu/lexirumah/. DOI https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1164782
- The Alor-Pantar Languages: History and Typology. Marian Klamer (ed). 2014. Berlin: Language Science Press ( http://langsci-press.org/catalog/book/22)
- Number and Quantity in East Nusantara. Marian Klamer and František Kratochvíl (eds). 2014. Canberra: Pacific Linguistics. ( http://pacling.anu.edu.au/materials/SAL/APL012-SAL001) (2014)
- A Grammar of Teiwa. Berlin/New York: Mouton de Gruyter. 2010. Received an Honorable Mention for the Gabelentz Award 2013.
- Melanesian Languages on the Edge of Asia: Challenges for the 21st Century. Nick Evans and Marian Klamer (eds). 2012. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press.
See Tab 'Published work'. For more information on her research and publications, please take a look at Marian Klamer's website.
Earlier Research Projects
2015 Research Fellow & Coordinator (with H. Hammarström) of NIAS-Lorentz Theme Group Capturing Phylogenetic Algorithms for Linguistics. NIAS, Wassenaar, Sept-Dec 2015.
2013-2014: Coordinator of the CLARIN-NL project Language Archive of Insular South East Asia and West New Guinea (LAISEANG).
- 2009-2012: PI of the research project Alor-Pantar languages: Origins and theoretical impact, EuroBABEL (EuroCORES) grant, European Science Foundation. Leiden U & U of Surrey, UK & U of Fairbanks, US.
- 2002-2007: PI of the research project Linguistic Variation in Eastern Indonesia: The Alor and Pantar Project, Innovative Research Grant (VIDI), NWO.
- 1996-2000: Grammaticalisation in Eastern Indonesia, Fellowship from the Royal Netherlands Academy of Science (KNAW).
- 1990-1994: Kambera, a language of Eastern Indonesia, NWO-WOTRO Onderzoeker in Opleiding personal grant.
Nelleke Goudswaard (PhD 2005), Frantisek Kratochvíl (PhD 2007), Angela Kluge (PhD 2014), Francesca Moro (PhD 2016, Radboud U), Joseph Brooks (PhD 2018, UC Santa Barbara, CA), Sophie Villerius, Arum Perwitasari, Nurenzia Yannuar, George Saad, Hanna Fricke, Frederick Boswell, Yunus Sulistyono, Jiang Wu.
- 1994: PhD ( Cum Laude) Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam (NWO / WOTRO grant). Dissertation nominated for the 1995 AVT-Dissertation Prize.
- 1990 MA General Linguistics ( Cum Laude), Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam.
For more information on her research and publications, please take a look at Marian Klamer's website.
Austronesian and Papuan Linguistics (MA); Samples of Linguistic Structure: Kambera (ResMA); Academic Skills for Linguists (ResMA), Research Methods in Linguisitcs (ResMA)
Administration, Organisation, International activities
- Member of the Faculty Council, Faculty of Humanities, 2018-present.
- Member of ‘Commissie Wetenschapsbeoefening’, Faculty of Humanites Leiden. 2017-present.
- Departmental Chair of the Research Master Linguistics, 2015-2017
- Member of the Editorial board of Pacific Linguistics, Research School of Pacific Studies, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia, 2003-present
- Member of the Editorial Board of Studies on Austronesian Languages (SAL), an open access electronic series. http://pacling.anu.edu.au/, 2014-present
- Reviewer for the Italian Agency for the Evaluation of Research and Universities (ANVUR) Humanities Panel (Gruppo di Esperti Valutatori), 2010-present
- Assessor for the Australian Research Council (ARC), 2010-present
- Member of the European Science Foundation (ESF) College of Expert Reviewers, 2009-present
- Member of the Board of the Netherlands Graduate School of Linguistics (LOT), 2016.
- Chair of the Steering Group for Data Management, Faculty of Humanities, Leiden U, 2014-2015.
- Chair of the Steering Committee of the International Conference on Austronesian Linguistics (ICAL), 2009-2015.
- Member of the Admission committee for the (Research) MA Linguistics, Leiden U, 2012-2014.
- Member of the Educational Review Committee of the (Research) MA Linguistics, Leiden U, 2007-2010.
- Member of the Board of the Leiden University Centre of Linguistics, 2005-2008.
- Member of the Board of the Society of Fellows of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences, 1996-1999.
- Faculteit der Geesteswetenschappen
- Leiden Institute for Area Studies
- SAS Indonesie
No relevant ancillary activities