Linguistics (specialisation) (MA)
In the one-year Linguistics specialisation programme you will be able to focus on a specific thematic or disciplinary route, reflecting the linguistics expertise present at Leiden University.
Why study Linguistics?
In the Linguistics master's programme you can explore the full breadth and depth of linguistics and language use. Courses on a broad array of topics can be combined along thematic or disciplinary lines that interest you most. This allows you to focus on, for example, core theoretical areas (syntax, semantics, phonology), forensic and phonetic speech science, pragmatics and communication, language documentation in remote areas, language acquisition, or Indo-European linguistics.
Linguistics at Leiden University
- Benefit from the unique environment for the study of linguistics at Leiden, which boasts expertise in an exceptional range of subject areas and theoretical approaches.
- Choose one of the ready-made thematic or disciplinary routes through the programme.
- Benefit from Leiden’s excellent research facilities, including the Experimental Linguistics Labs: the Phonetics Lab, the EEG Lab, the Eye-tracking Lab and the Babylab.
- Gain professional experience by doing fieldwork, an internship, or an individual research project with a staff member, as part of the programme.
- Become part of the linguistics community at Leiden University by participating in events such as the MA Linguistics colloquium, Linguistic Movie Nights, or by becoming involved in the T.W.I.S.T. study association for BA and MA linguistics students in Leiden.
Admission and Application
Do you want to find out if you are eligible for this Master's programme?
Linguistics: the right master’s programme for you?
The Linguistics master’s programme is aimed at students who have an analytical mind and are fascinated by the human capacity for language, by the structure of languages, whether Western, non-Western, ancient or modern, or by the ways in which language can be used to inform, influence and mislead.
In which sector do students find jobs?
- 29 Education
- 17 Research
- 12 Communication and marketing
- 6 Business services
- 5 IT
- 5 Government and semi-government
- 5 Publishing
- 3 Wholesale and retail
- 3 Information management
- 2 Non profit organizations
- 13 Other
Experimental Linguistics Labs at Leiden University
Due to the selected cookie settings, we cannot show this video here.Watch the video on the original website or
Linguistics at Leiden University is an accredited degree programme. After successful completion of this programme, you will receive a legally accredited master’s degree in Linguistics, with a specialisation in Linguistics and the title Master of Arts (MA).
Chat with a student
Do you have a question about student life in Leiden, studying at Leiden University, or do you want more information about the Linguistics master's programme?