Linguistics (specialisation) (MA)
The Linguistics specialisation is a one-year programme within the master's degree in Linguistics at Leiden University. In the course of the programme you will be able to focus on a specific thematic or disciplinary route, reflecting the linguistics expertise present at Leiden University. In addition, you may be given the possibility to design a thematic or disciplinary route according to your own specific interest.
Why study Linguistics?
In the Linguistics specialisation you can explore the full breadth and depth of linguistics and language use. Courses on a broad array of topics can be combined along thematic or disciplinary lines that interest you most. This allows you to focus on, for example, core theoretical areas (syntax, semantics, phonology), forensic and phonetic speech science, pragmatics and communication, language documentation in remote areas, language acquisition, or Indo-European linguistics.
Linguistics at Leiden University
- Benefit from the unique environment for the study of linguistics at Leiden, which boasts expertise in an exceptional range of subject areas and theoretical approaches.
- Choose one of the ready-made thematic or disciplinary routes through the programme, or potentially create one according to your individual interests.
- Benefit from Leiden’s excellent research facilities, including the Experimental Linguistics Labs: the Phonetics Lab, the EEG Lab, the Eye-tracking Lab and the Babylab.
- Gain professional experience by doing fieldwork, an internship, or an individual research project with a staff member, as part of the programme.
- Become part of the linguistics community at Leiden University by participating in events such as the MA Linguistics colloquium, Linguistic Movie Nights, or by becoming involved in the T.W.I.S.T. study association for BA and MA linguistics students in Leiden.
Linguistics: the right master’s programme for you?
The Linguistics specialisation within the master’s programme in Linguistics is aimed at students who have an analytical mind and are fascinated by the human capacity for language, by the structure of languages, whether Western, non-Western, ancient or modern, or by the ways in which language can be used to inform, influence and mislead.
Experimental Linguistics Labs at Leiden University
Due to the selected cookie settings, we cannot show this video here.Watch the video on the original website or
Linguistics at Leiden University is an accredited degree programme. After successful completion of this programme, you will receive a legally accredited master’s degree in Linguistics, with a specialisation in Linguistics and the title Master of Arts (MA).
Join the Online Experience
If you are thinking about enrolling in this programme at Leiden University and want to find out if it is right for you, you can check our Online Experience. This is designed to give you a feel of what it is like to study the MA Linguistics (specialisation). It consists of a webinar with current students, recorded Master’s Open Day presentations, course structures an overview of all of our lecturers and some useful practical information.
Chat with a student
Do you have a question about student life in Leiden, studying at Leiden University, or do you want more information about the Linguistics master's programme? Chat with a current student for answers to your questions!