Modern Languages (MA)
The programme for the Modern Languages specialisation is a one-year programme within the masters's degree in Linguistics at Leiden University. In the course of the programme you will be able to focus on one of five language themes, or a combination thereof: Chinese Linguistics, English Linguistics, French Linguistics, German Linguistics or Italian Linguistics. The programme equips you with unique skills relevant to a career in academia, teaching, writing and communications.
Focus on Chinese, English, French, German or Italian Linguistics
Linguistics deals both with the search for general properties common to all languages and the study of particular languages. Chinese, English, French, German and Italian are among the most widely spoken and best-studied languages in the world.
The programme for the Modern Languages specialisation provides you with a solid foundation in the languages of the world’s most influential societies. You will look at how these languages can vary by place, by situation and by social group (sociolinguistics, dialectology); how they evolve over time (historical linguistics); how people acquire or learn them (language acquisition); and how people use them in context (pragmatics).
Why study Modern Languages at Leiden University?
- Focus on the language or languages of your interest: Chinese, English, French, German, or Italian.
- Learn about second language learning and bilingualism, or dive deeper into your language of specialisation by combining linguistics with literary studies on your language of choice.
- Choose one of the ready-made thematic routes or create your own programme to match your specific interests.
- Gain professional experience by doing an individual research project with a staff member, or an internship as part of your programme.
- Become part of the linguistics community at Leiden University by attending events such as the MA Linguistics seminar or by becoming involved in the T.W.I.S.T. study association for BA and MA linguistics students in Leiden.
Modern Languages: the right master’s programme for you?
The programme for the Modern Languages specialisation is aimed at students who are interested in Chinese Linguistics, English Linguistics, French Linguistics, German Linguistics or Italian Linguistics. You might also be interested in second language learning, or in combining linguistics with literary studies of your language of choice. These options are an excellent preparation for a subsequent educational master.
Spanish and Portuguese linguistics
Are you interested in Spanish or Portuguese linguistics? Please visit the website for Latin American Studies.
Modern Languages at Leiden University is an accredited degree programme of Linguistics. After successful completion of this programme, you will receive a legally accredited master’s degree in Linguistics, with a specialization in Modern Languages and the title Master of Arts (MA).