Dutch Studies (BA)
- Dutch, English
For international bachelor’s students who want to develop true fluency in not just the Dutch language, but also the culture, history and mind set of the Netherlands, there is no better place than the Leiden University Bachelor in Dutch Studies!
First year student Dutch Studies
"I really enjoy the programme. I understand more and more. Sometimes I realise that I say things that I couldn’t do a few weeks before. The steps I make surprise me every time. The Dutch culture is also very surprising and different from mine, so I had to get used to it. For example: there are a lot of birthday parties! Every weekend I have another party. That’s nice and I really feel like I get to know the culture better as well when I meet native Dutch people."
Programme chair BA Dutch Studies
"Dutch Studies is the only programme in the Netherlands that offers international students the opportunity to specialise in Dutch language and culture. The three-year BA Dutch Studies offers international students a unique chance to gain a specialised qualification in this rich and valuable knowledge area. During the programme you will rapidly develop proficiency in the Dutch language. You will also meet many Dutch students as part of your experience studying in the Netherlands and join a lively, welcoming international classroom full of ambitious students from all over the world."
Why study Dutch Studies?
The historical, cultural and philosophical impact of the Netherlands and the Dutch language is internationally significant – but while virtually everyone can recognise a painting from Van Gogh, few can properly pronounce his name! Hence the unique Leiden bachelor in Dutch Studies: the only programme in the Netherlands for international students who wish to specialise in the Dutch language (and Dutch culture, history and society) at a high academic level.
Why Dutch Studies at Leiden University?
- Study in the historic city of Leiden, the international centre of Dutch studies.
- Flexible study options depending upon your own ambitions, and the level of Dutch you already have: from ground-zero to relatively advanced.
- The only programme in the Netherlands that offers international students the chance to specialise in Dutch language and culture.
Is this programme for you?
The unique combination of Dutch Studies and your own native language makes you the ideal person to build intercultural connections after your study.
- Does Dutch language, history and culture fascinate you?
- Do you want to learn Dutch at a high academic level, or bring your current level of Dutch to the point where you are highly fluent?
- Do your ambitions include teaching Dutch, working in an international organisation connected to the Netherlands, or focusing on a specific aspect of Dutch for further Master study?
Then Dutch Studies is for you!