Arts, Media and Society (BA)
Why Leiden University
In Arts, Media and Society you will study the latest developments in contemporary art; and examine the relationship of art with today’s urgent issues in areas such as politics, science, law and culture.
Five reasons to study Arts, Media and Society in Leiden:
- A unique, English-taught specialisation of Leiden University’s BA in Art History.
- You will be able to study various forms of art and artistic media, including the visual arts, film and photography, installation art, bioart and digital media art.
- Many of your lecturers are affiliated to the LUCAS institute, an important research centre focused on the arts in society.
- A small-scale programme in which you learn from leading academics and guest lecturers.
- Leiden is home to 13 museums; from Leiden you can easily reach top Dutch and European museums and art events by train.
Why study at the Faculty of Humanities?
The Faculty of Humanities is situated in two locations: the historical centre of Leiden, and the modern new Wijnhaven Building in The Hague. With around 6500 students and 800 staff members, the Faculty offers an inspiring, innovative and international approach to research and education in the study of language, history, society, culture, and religion. Its 25 Bachelors and 28 Masters programmes are consistently highly rated for teaching and research; it was ranked #1 in continental Europe and #17 in the world in the 2016 Times Higher Education Rankings (THE).
Study at a world-class university
Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands and enjoys an excellent worldwide reputation built up over more than four centuries. Since 1575 we’ve provided sound personal education for hundreds of thousands of students from all over the world. We’ll do our utmost to give you the best possible support. And if you can and want to do more, we’ll challenge you every step of the way. For many years, we’ve been among the leaders in Dutch university rankings and we are currently to be found in a variety of top international rankings too.
More reasons to choose Leiden University