Open access (OA) refers to academic output that is freely available online, without restrictions. This hugely increases the visibility of research.
AiM stimulates Open Access publication in many ways, for example by making researchers aware of all the many OA possibilities and formats, encouraging researchers to publish their results as early as possible, and by working towards affordable and diverse OA options.
As part of our work in this area, an Open Scientific Publishing think tank has been set up. This group will develop a strategic vision for the university, and will recommend ways for researchers and research support staff to support open publishing. The think tank includes experts from the university library, the Centre for Science and Technology Studies and the Open Science Community Leiden, as well as faculties with diverse publishing cultures.
- Encouraging and supporting faculties and institutes to develop a publishing policy, keeping national and university guidelines in mind.
- Exploring the possibility with stakeholders to support the publication of OA books.
- Sharing best practices on pre-registering research and publishing pre-prints.
- Facilitating the discussion around the possibilities of university hosted or third-party alternative publication platforms.
- Management and monitoring of OA publications.