Francien Dechesne is Assistant Professor at the Center for Law and Digital Technologies (eLaw@Leiden). She is academic coordinator of the Advanced Master in Law & Digital Technologies, and researcher in the SCALES project (NWO research programme for Responsible Innovation).
Francien Dechesne is Assistant Professor at the Center for Law and Digital Technologies (eLaw) of the Leiden Law School, and lecturer at TU Eindhoven.
She is academic coordinator of the Advanced Master in Law & Digital Technologies.
Her research interest is the translation between societal and ethical issues surrounding Information- & Communication Technologies (ICT) on the one hand, and the technology on the other. Her current research focuses on justice and fairness in so-called algorithmic decisions. She also conducts research in the SCALES project of the NWO Responsible Innovation program. This research project involves the question of how to strike a balance between public, commercial and individual interests in data-driven innovations. In particular, her research focuses on potential negative societal impact of decisions based on data-analytics and the design of accountability mechanisms that address that.
Francien Dechesne holds a PhD in mathematical logic (Tilburg University and TU Eindhoven, 2005). She conducted research on formal methods for verification of security protocols (TU Eindhoven, 2005-2009) and on Ethics and Information Technology (TU Delft, 2009-2014). Before starting her academic career, she worked as IT Management professional in mainframe environments (Pink Elephant bv, 1997-2000).
- Custers B.H.M., Dechesne F., Sears A.M., Tani T. & Hof S. van der (2018), A comparison of data protection legislation and policies across the EU, Computer Law and Security Review 34(2): 234-243.
- Custers B.H.M., Dechesne F., Pieters W., Schermer B. & Hof S. van der (2018), Consent and Privacy. In: Müller A., Schaber P. (Eds.) The Routledge Handbook of the Ethics of Consent. London: Routledge. 247-258.
- Custers B.H.M, Dechesne F., Georgieva I.N. & Hof S. van der (2017), De bescherming van persoonsgegevens: acht Europese landen vergeleken. Den Haag: SDU.
- Reisen M. van & Dechesne F. (19 May 2017), Money, Mobility and Healthcare: Towards a Meta-Theory of System Diversity (Lecture). Tilburg: TILTing perspectives 2017: Regulating a connected world.
- Dechesne F. (18 May 2017), Making decisions fair and square? On regulating algorithms (Lecture). Tilburg: TILTing perspectives 2017: Regulating a connected world.
- Pieters W. & Dechesne F. (2017), Adversarial Risks in Social Experiments with New Technologies. In: Poel I. van de, Asveld L., Mehos D.C. (Eds.) New Perspectives on Technology in Society: Experimentation Beyond the Laboratory. Emerging technologies, ethics and international affairs Oxford: Routledge.
- Pieters W., Hadziosmanovic D. & Dechesne F. (2016), Security-by-Experiment: Lessons from Responsible Deployment in Cyberspace, Science and Engineering Ethics 22(3): 831-850.
- Nickel P. & Dechesne F. (2016), The ethical dimension of data science for DSC/e magazine [interview].
- Warnier M., Dechesne F. & Brazier F. (2015), Design for the Value of Privacy. In: Hoven J. van den, Vermaas P., Poel I. van de (Eds.) Handbook of Ethics, Values, and Technological Design. Dordrecht: Springer. 431-445.
- raad van advies opleiding Artifical Intelligence