Science Communication & Society
Summer School Science Communication
In the summer of 2024, we will organize a summer school for researchers who want to learn about communicating science to diverse audiences. The summer school is aimed at PhD students, postdocs and other early career researchers. The Summer School is open for all disciplines in science, including social sciences, natural sciences and humanities.
Registration will become available around February/March 2024
Would you like to learn more about communicating your research with other audiences than the scientific community? Are you available during the summer of 2024? Then we have an interesting opportunity for you.
The Science Communication and Society department from Leiden University is inviting young researchers (PhD, postdoc, or other early career) to join their Summer School about science communication.
Over the span of one week, you will get theoretical perspectives about science communication, practice skills and apply it in the development of a science communication product. A variety of guest speakers will share their experiences and best practices with you, while our team of Science Communication scientists from Leiden University will guide you through this exciting week.
The programme will include:
- Introduction to science communication, inspiration on SciCom products.
- Lectures on communication theory, target audiences, how to include outreach in funding proposals, literature and best practices.
- Presentations by guest speakers about their experiences with different types of science communication.
- Workshops on social media and science journalism.
- Throughout the week, participants will develop a science communication product together which will be presented at the end of the week.
The Summer School takes place in Leiden (on-site), dates TBA. The registration fee is €450,- (TBA). Coffee/tea and lunch will be provided, as well as a closing reception on Friday. We have space for 20-25 participants.
We ask you to include a short CV (max 1 page) and a motivation letter (max 1 page) in which you cover the following:
- Why you want to participate
- What you hope to learn
- Your experience in science communication (no previous experience is required, we just want to know the level of experience of participants).
Registration will open in February/March 2024
Aftermovie summer school science communication 2023
Due to the selected cookie settings, we cannot show this video here.Watch the video on the original website or