Area Studies: Asia & the Middle East
All LIAS and LUCSoR members and visitors are kindly requested to familiarize themselves with the information provided below, to the level of detail they feel is appropriate to their situation. This information overlaps in part with the University’s web pages on academic integrity.
The following items are a good place to start:
- VSNU Netherlands Code of Conduct for Academic Practice. This is a comprehensive document on principles and best practices in teaching and research.
The European Code of Conduct for Research Integrity: combines well with the VSNU code and is fairly practice-oriented.
- On Being a Scientist: A Guide to Responsible Conduct in Research, published by the National Academies Press (USA): This is a brief, well-written book. While many of the examples come from the physical sciences, the underlying issues and the way they can play out for the individual academic are equally relevant for the humanities and the social sciences.
- On Being a Scientist, the MOOC, by Bas Haring and Frans van Lunteren
- Kees Schuyt’s Tussen fout en fraude: integriteit en oneerlijk gedrag in het wetenschappelijk onderzoek [Between Error and Fraud: Integrity and Dishonest Behavior in Scientific Research], Leiden: Leiden University Press, 2014. A lucid, comprehensive, critical study of academic integrity: historical, theoretical, ethical, practical, educational, administrative, and so on. Based on extensive, international research and on the author’s experience as a scientist and a member of the National Board for Research Integrity in the Netherlands. ( At this writing, no English translation was available as of yet.)
- Leiden University web pages on academic integrity, including information on procedures to address suspected violations of academic integrity.
Other important documents include:
- Leiden University Code of Conduct. This document focuses on standards of behavior in staff-student relationships.
- Leiden University guidelines on plagiarism
- Leiden University Library guidelines on data management
- Responsible Research Data Management and the Prevention of Scientific Misconduct. This paper by the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (Dutch acronym: KNAW = Koninklijke Nederlandse Academie van Wetenschappen) is downloadable at the bottom of the web page, under ‘Beschikbaar als pdf.’
- National Board for Research Integrity. After an issue of academic integrity has been formally addressed at the institution in question, if the indiviudual(s) and/or the institution involved wish to pursue the matter further, they can take it to the National Board for Research Integrity (Dutch acronym: LOWI = Landelijk Orgaan Wetenschappelijkke Integriteit).