Leiden Institute for Area Studies (LIAS)
LIAS hosts Visiting Researchers from around the world. The programme provides Visitors access to LIAS facilities (including Leiden University Library) so that they can conduct research on an approved topic. As an academic institution committed to international cooperation and exchange, LIAS welcomes Visiting Researchers, on the following terms:
- LIAS welcomes applications by PhD candidates and postdoctoral fellows, as well as those holding the rank of assistant professor, associate professor or full professor (or equivalents of these ranks).
- Visits can start at any point in the academic year, and can last up to twelve months. Extensions may be granted under special circumstances (e.g. grant scheme particulars).
- LIAS will provide visitors with (digital) library access and access to a desk and computer. LIAS will not support visitors financially in any way.
- Visitors must acknowledge LIAS support in any publications prepared during their visit in whole or in part.
- A LIAS faculty member must be available to act as the visitor’s primary contact and local guide for professional and practical matters before and during the visit. Applicants should directly approach the LIAS staff member with whom they would like to work, and ask them to write a letter of recommendation (see below).
(Prospective) visitors will receive support from the Service Centre International Staff (SCIS) in applying for legal documents (e.g. visa, residence permit, work permit), and identifying and purchasing insurance, as appropriate.
Short period guest stay (no LU Visa arrangements, for a maximum period of 3 months)
Includes a Leiden University guest account (including Wi-Fi and (digital) library access but without an e-mail box and with limited software).
Fee for short stay (max. 3 months/90 days): no fee.
Long period guest stay (LU Visa arrangement, 3 to 12 months and extended)
Includes a full Leiden University account (with e-mail, all software, Wi-Fi and (digital) library access).
Fee for long stay: 450 euro.
How to apply
Applications must be in English, and must be submitted via this online form.
LIAS can host a limited number of visiting scholars, and applicants are advised to contact LIAS well ahead of time. Only complete application packages will be assessed.
For queries, please write to email@example.com