The one-year master’s in Linguistics is concerned with the knowledge, structure and use of language, studied from a wide range of perspectives. It trains students to systematically identify, describe and analyse language phenomena and to apply this knowledge to a specific area of interest.
From analysis to practice
The master's programme in Linguistics at Leiden University offers a wide range of perspectives on language. It enables you to learn how to identify, describe and analyse language phenomena systematically and to apply this knowledge to a specific area of interest, ranging from theoretical and experimental approaches to linguistics, to language documentation, language comparison, language learning, communication, to translation. The programme is situated within the Leiden University Centre for Linguistics, which brings together renowned scholars from a variety of theoretical and applied perspectives.
Why study Linguistics at Leiden University?
- Enter the field of linguistics from the perspective of your own main inspiration: a specific language, analytical curiosity, theoretical interest or translating ambitions.
- Follow one of our highlighted thematic or disciplinary routes through the programme, with the possibility of creating one according to your individual interests.
- Launch your translator’s career by gaining expertise in the latest translation tools offered in the programme for the Translation in Theory and Practice (Dutch/English) specialisation.
- Develop your skills in experimental research by training in the Experimental Linguistics Labs, whose facilities include EEG and eye-tracking equipment, as well as a lab to study infants' language acquisition.
- Gain your first professional experience by doing fieldwork, an internship, or an individual research project with a staff member, as part of the programme.
- Become part of the linguistics community at Leiden University by participating in events such as the MA Linguistics colloquium, Linguistic Movie Nights, or by becoming involved in the T.W.I.S.T. study association for BA and MA linguistics students in Leiden
Linguistics: the right master's programme for you?
This master's programme is aimed at students with basic demonstrable academic knowledge in the field of linguistics. What makes you a good candidate for the programme is that you are interested in the structure of language because:
- you have an analytical mind and are fascinated by the human capacity for language
- you are interested in a specific language and might want to teach this language
- you are interested in linguistic analyses, theoretical or experimental approaches to linguistics, or in the analysis of language use
- you are eager to become a translator
Spanish and Portuguese linguistics
Are you interested in Spanish or Portuguese linguistics? Please visit the website for Latin American Studies.
Linguistics at Leiden University is an accredited degree programme. After successful completion of this programme, you will receive a Master’s degree in Linguistics (mentioning your specialisation) and the title Master of Arts (MA).