Law and Digital Technologies (Advanced LL.M.)
Why Leiden University
Taught within the Centre for Law in the Information Society, this programme takes a multidisciplinary and international approach when addressing the modern legal challenges posed by digital technology.
Professor Simone van der HofThis video cannot be shown because you did not accept cookies. Please accept cookies or leave our website to view this video.
10 reasons why should study Law and Digital Technologies in Leiden
As a student of the Law and Digital Technologies Advanced Studies programme, you will benefit from:
- Multidisciplinary learning: You will develop expertise on the law and governance of the internet and digital technologies, focusing on regulatory theory (internet governance and techno-regulation) as well as national and international law (hard law, soft law and case law).
- Excellent reputation: Leiden Law School has developed its reputation for excellence by combining a high level of academic teaching with acclaimed and innovative research. Its tradition of quality attracts prestigious professors and professionals from around the world who teach you in a challenging and supportive atmosphere.
- International environment: In addition to the international focus of the curriculum, the unique blend of students and instructors that represent all continents makes our programme a truly global experience.
- Professional skills: You will develop professional skills through participation in workshops with specialised lawyers (e.g. moot courts, negotiating IT contracts and performing privacy impact assessments) and technologists (e.g. hacking and social engineering).
- Extensive networking: You will build a strong professional network during site visits to major high-tech companies, law firms and governmental institutes and through interacting with your fellow students, who are often practising lawyers that come from all corners of the globe.
- Study trips: You can participate in several excursions, for instance to major high-tech companies or law firms.
- Additional specialisation opportunities: You can choose to follow one course from one of the Leiden Law School’s other Master of Laws Advanced Studies programmes (excluding International Tax Law) in addition to the core curriculum.
- Supportive student groups: You will have the opportunity to participate in a reading group which will discuss relevant literature.
- Beautiful, convenient location: The Law School is housed in two beautifully restored historic buildings located in the old centre of Leiden. We also have teaching and research facilities close to international legal institutions in The Hague.
- Superior research resources: As a student, you will have access to the Center for Law and Digital Technologies’ excellent library, as well as the library of the nearby Peace Palace (The Hague), which houses one of the world’s largest legal collections.
Studying at Leiden Law School
Leiden Law School offers challenging, top quality education with many opportunities for talent to flourish. The law school is internationally orientated and has many contacts with universities, political bodies and the professional field. Our teaching staff combine a solid academic basis with current knowledge in the professional field. As a result the study programmes offered are versatile, topical and socially relevant. With our additional location in The Hague we are in close proximity to the political and international organisations that operate in the areas of law, justice and policy-making.
Study at a world-class university
Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands and enjoys an excellent worldwide reputation built up over more than four centuries. Since 1575 we’ve provided sound personal education for hundreds of thousands of students. We’ll do our utmost to give you the best possible support. And if you can and want to do more, we’ll challenge you every step of the way. For many years, we’ve been among the leaders in Dutch university rankings and we are currently to be found in a variety of top international rankings too.
More reasons to choose Leiden University