Cities, Migration and Global Interdependence (MA)
In Leiden University’s master’s in Cities, Migration and Global Interdependence you will study processes of migration, urbanisation, economic development and global interaction through time.
A top-ranked programme
According to the QS World University Rankings 2022, History at Leiden University is rated 1st in continental Europe and 16th in the world.
Why study Cities, Migration and Global Interdependence?
Do you want to explain the refugee crisis? The economic crisis? Persistent inequality (according to gender, class, ethnicity, sexuality)? Crime and urbanisation? In this History master’s degree you will focus on processes that are subjects of heated current societal and political debates. You will study them from a comparative and historical perspective (covering the period 1500 until today) and place them in the wider frameworks of the development of trade networks, the emergence of multinationals, economic growth and stagnation, and regional unification.
Why choose Cities, Migration and Global Interdependence at Leiden University?
- Learn to understand and contribute to current debates about migration, urbanisation, globalisation, crime, economic growth and inequality and put these debates in a historical and comparative perspective
- Study the movement of people, goods, services, capital, and ideas, and demographic, spatial, political, institutional, and legal, opportunities and restrictions
- Become an academic researcher, a well-informed politician or policy maker,an employee of a NGO, European or national organisation, a critical journalist, or an inspiring teacher.
- Include gender, class, religion, sexuality and race/ethnicity in your study and of processes that create equality/inequality and freedoms and slavery.
- Benefit from the expertise of an international team of enthusiastic teachers.
Choose from three specialisations
The Cities, Migration and Global Interdependence programme offers three specialisations:
- The Cities, Migration and Global Interdependence general programme is focused on urbanisation, migration and economic development in a global and comparative context.
- Economic history studies from many different angles a very elementary question: how did economies manage to unleash an unprecedented increase in affluence? Economic growth has been a blessing for many, is a hope for many more and a challenge for future generations.
- The interdisciplinary programme Governance of Migration and Diversity offers you the knowledge of migration experts in several fields of study, from Leiden University, Delft University and Erasmus University Rotterdam (LDE).
Admission and Application
Do you want to find out if you are eligible for this Master's programme?
Check the entry requirements
In which sector do students find jobs?
- 25 Goverment and semi-government organisations
- 20 Education
- 15 Research
- 10 Communication and marketing
- 5 IT
- 5 Welfare and health
- 5 Industry
- 5 Consultancy
- 5 Information management
- 5 Business services
Cities, Migration and Global Interdependence at Leiden University is an accredited degree programme of History. After successful completion of this programme, you will receive a legally accredited master’s degree in History and the title Master of Arts (MA).
Nadia Bouras about her research
Nadia Bouras is an expert in the field of the migration and integration of Moroccan people in the Netherlands and lectures on the Cities, Migration and Global Interdependence programme. In this video, she talks more about her research.
Due to the selected cookie settings, we cannot show this video here.Watch the video on the original website or
Chat with a student
Do you have a question about student life in Leiden, studying at Leiden University, or do you want more information about the History master's programme? Chat with a current student for answers to your questions!