Cities, Migration and Global Interdependence (MA)
In Leiden University’s master’s in Cities, Migration and Global Interdependence you will study processes of migration, urbanisation, economic development and global interaction through time.
A top-ranked programme
According to the QS World University Rankings 2021, History at Leiden University is rated 1st in continental Europe and 15th in the world.
Why study Cities, Migration and Global Interdependence at Leiden University?
Do you want to explain the refugee crisis? The economic crisis? Persistent inequality (according to gender, class, ethnicity, sexuality)? Crime and urbanisation? In this History master’s degree you will focus on processes that are subjects of heated current societal and political debates. You will study them from a comparative and historical perspective (covering the period 1500 until today) and place them in the wider frameworks of the development of trade networks, the emergence of multinationals, economic growth and stagnation, and regional unification.
Choose from three specialisations
The Cities, Migration and Global Interdependence programme offers three specialisations:
- The Cities, Migration and Global Interdependence general programme is focused on urbanisation, migration and economic development in a global and comparative context.
- Economic history studies from many different angles a very elementary question: how did economies manage to unleash an unprecedented increase in affluence? Economic growth has been a blessing for many, is a hope for many more and a challenge for future generations. But economies are unequal and unstable. Which measures were taken in the past to provide a better income for lower income groups, to expand international economic activities, and to prevent periodic downfall? Finding empirical data helps us to understand these issues. Applying methods and concepts from economic theory helps to observe causal relationships that deepen our understanding of the economic past.
- The interdisciplinary programme Governance of Migration and Diversity offers you the knowledge of migration experts in several fields of study, from Leiden University, Delft University and Erasmus University Rotterdam (LDE).
Learn from leading academics
Leiden University has a long tradition of studying migration and ethnicity and you will benefit from the expertise of a large team of enthusiastic and very diverse teachers. You will learn to understand and contribute to current global debates about migration, urbanisation, globalisation, economic growth and inequality. You will also analyse urban and state institutions and their effects on inclusion and exclusion, urban crime and criminal behaviour, and the development of freedoms and un-freedoms.
Admission and Application
Do you want to find out if you are eligible for this Master's programme?
In which sector do students find jobs?
- 25 Goverment and semi-government organisations
- 20 Education
- 15 Research
- 10 Communication and marketing
- 5 IT
- 5 Welfare and health
- 5 Industry
- 5 Consultancy
- 5 Information management
- 5 Business services
Cities, Migration and Global Interdependence at Leiden University is an accredited degree programme of History. After successful completion of this programme, you will receive a legally accredited master’s degree in History and the title Master of Arts (MA).
Nadia Bouras about her research
Nadia Bouras is an expert in the field of the migration and integration of Moroccan people in the Netherlands and lectures on the Cities, Migration and Global Interdependence programme. In this video, she talks more about her research.
Due to the selected cookie settings, we cannot show this video here.Watch the video on the original website or
Chat with a student
Do you have a question about student life in Leiden, studying at Leiden University, or do you want more information about the History master's programme? Chat with a current student for answers to your questions!