Cities, Migration and Global Interdependence (research) (MA)
In the research master Cities, Migration and Global Interdependence at Leiden University you will study processes of migration, urbanisation, economic development and global interaction over time.
Why study Cities, Migration and Global Interdependence (research) at Leiden University?
You will be part of a research master's programme in which you will focus on processes that are subjects of heated current societal and political debates. You will study them from a comparative and historical perspective (covering the period 1500 until today) and place them in the wider frameworks of the development of trade networks, the emergence of multinationals, economic growth and stagnation, and regional unification.
Learn from leading academics
Leiden University has a long tradition of studying migration and ethnicity and you will benefit from the expertise of a large team of enthusiastic and very diverse teachers. You will learn to understand and contribute to current debates about migration, urbanisation, globalisation, economic growth and inequality from a historical and comparative perspective. You will also analyse urban and state institutions and their effects on inclusion and exclusion, urban crime and criminal behaviour, and the development of freedoms and un-freedoms (including slavery).
Topics you may study include:
- The (gendered) interaction between migration and membership regimes in different parts of the world and the effects of societal categorisation in making distinctions between migrants and non-migrants;
- Urban and state institutions and their effects on inclusion and exclusion;
- Social engineering, criminality and urban subcultures;
- Changing labour relations in capitalist institutions and their relations to economic development;
- Economic history of Europe and the EU, economic policy, the welfare state, and economic co-operation between countries.
- Development of freedoms and unfreedoms;
- Cross-cultural commercial networks, cultural exchanges and comparative socio
Cities, Migration and Global Interdependence (research) degree
Cities, Migration and Global Interdependence (research) at Leiden University is an accredited degree programme. After successful completion of this programme, you will receive a research master’s degree in History and the title Master of Arts (MA).