Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Cities, Migration and Global Interdependence (MA)

Admission requirements

To be eligible for Cities, Migration and Global Interdependence at Leiden University, you must meet the following admission requirements.

Diploma requirements

A bachelor’s degree from a university, equivalent to the level of a Dutch academic bachelor’s degree.

Knowledge, understanding and skills comparable to those acquired upon graduating from the Bachelor’s programme in History from Leiden University.

  • Students with the following Bachelor degrees will be automatically admitted and need to apply through Studielink only:
    • Bachelor’s degree in History from Leiden University
  • Applicants with a Bachelor’s degree in International Studies from Leiden University, including BA Thesis on a historical subject, the following optional courses which are part of the Bachelor’s programme History:
    • BA-Werkcollege (BA History, second year) or Elective on historical subject (BA International Studies, second year) (10 EC).

    • Completed a BA-Seminar (BA History, third year) in the BA History (either as an extra pre-master-course or as an extra Elective in the BA International Studies) (10 EC).

  • Applicants with a bachelor’s degree in Languages and Cultures of South and Southeast Asia from Leiden University, including the combined programme in History worth 60 ECTS, will be admitted. They do however need to submit an online application.
  • Applications with a Bachelor’s degree in Liberal Arts and Sciences: Global Challenges (Leiden University) with a
    • Major in Human Diversity: track Global and Contemporary History or
    • Major in World Politics: track Global History
      will be admitted. They do however need to submit an online application.

Applicants with a Bachelor’s degree in History of a university of applied science (HBO) will be admitted after completing the pre-master’s programme. See the pre-master’s page for more details.

Language requirements

Sufficient command of English (IELTS 7.0, TOEFL 100 (internet-based) or Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE)).

For detailed information about which English qualifications are accepted, as well as the relevant exemption criteria, refer to English language proficiency.

Please note: You do not have to submit proof of proficiency if you have completed your education in Canada (except French-taught programmes in Canada), USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia, or when you hold an International Baccalaureate, or for Dutch students, if you have completed VWO level English or an English taught bachelor at a Dutch Research University.

>> Go to the next step: Check the application deadlines 

We use cookies. Read the terms and conditions.