Why Psychology in Leiden?
Students and lecturers from around the world bring an international and multi-cultural perspective on psychology to the class room. This, combined with the fact that all teaching and discussions will be in English, that we offer cross-cultural courses, and that you can study abroad for a semester, ensures that your training will be truly international and fitting in a global world.
Five reasons to study Psychology in Leiden
- In our teaching, we offer a variety of teaching formats (lectures, work groups, practicals, and individual supervision) and we use modern ICT tools and blended learning to support our teaching in the bachelor’s programme
- Discover a vast field of study and practice, from Social Psychology to Developmental Psychology, Neuropsychology and other main subdisciplines
- From the second semester of the second year on, you can either decide to stay broad in your orientation on the field, or you can specialise by choosing your own route
- Leiden is known for its system of Student Support which ensures intensive and individual support to all students during all three years of the bachelor’s programme, with a focus on your career prospects
- Research and education are closely connected at Leiden University. This means that teaching is often done by top researchers and it means that our students get acquainted with research right from the start of your first year. An example of our research:
Psychology research on Leiden University
Due to the selected cookie settings, we cannot show this video here.Watch the video on the original website or
Studying at the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences
The Institute of Psychology is housed in our Social and Behavioural Sciences Faculty building together with the other Social Sciences institutes. The Institute is within walking distance of the Leiden Central railway station. If you travel by train, a 5-minute walk will take you from the back of the station to the Pieter de la Court building
In the Faculty you can find:
- research labs
- lecture halls
- tutorial rooms
- a library with 70,000 printed specialist publications and extensive digital collections
- about 300 computer workstations for students located in several places in the building
- the cafe or restaurant to chat with your fellow students
- Labyrint: the psychology student association
Study at a world-class university
Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands and enjoys an excellent worldwide reputation built up over more than four centuries. Since 1575 we’ve provided sound personal education for hundreds of thousands of students from all over the world. We’ll do our utmost to give you the best possible support. And if you can and want to do more, we’ll challenge you every step of the way. For many years, we’ve been among the leaders in Dutch university rankings and we are currently to be found in a variety of top international rankings too.
More reasons to choose Leiden University