Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Insurance and Health

You are legally required to have health insurance to cover any medical costs you may incur during your stay. You must take out a health insurance policy before you arrive. There are various types of health insurance:

The majority of international students residing in the Netherlands do not need to take out Dutch public health insurance. The Dutch public health insurance (basiszorgverzekering), is only required if you:

  • work alongside your studies
  • undertake a paid internship

Please note: if you fall into one of these categories and fail to take out Dutch public health insurance, you risk having to pay a substantial fine.

However after registering at your local Dutch town hall you may receive a letter from the National Health Care Institute (CAK) stating that, according to their records, you are not insured and must take out Dutch public health insurance (basiszorgverzekering) immediately. It is important that you respond to this letter within three months, even if you think you have received it by mistake, otherwise you risk being fined. Please refer to the Study In Holland website on letter from the CAK for information of what action to take.

 If you plan on having a job next to your studies and or an internship you will have to take out a Dutch Health insurance.

You can have a look at this website which compares student insurance policies (in English).

As an EU student, you are most likely covered for a temporary stay in the Netherlands by the health insurance scheme in your home country. Please check this in your home county before departure and remember to request a EU health insurance card (E111).

Be aware that some EU countries set a limit for the length of time you can be insured abroad with an EU Health Insurance card. If you are not covered for the duration of your stay, you should take out the ICS Complete+ student insurance package from AON, as described below. Also note that European health insurance schemes may not always live up to expectations, so it is generally recommended that you top up your coverage by taking out a student insurance policy.

Holders of EU health insurance cards can contact the Zilveren Kruis insurance company for assistance in requesting reimbursements. Visit their website for students and click on ‘EU, EEA-countries and Switzerland’, see below.

Non-EU students, and EU students requiring additional coverage, can apply for a student insurance policy from a Dutch insurance company. Various levels of coverage in different price ranges are available. An added advantage is that some student insurance packages also cover personal liability, household contents, theft, repatriation and legal advice. Always make sure that your policy covers pre-existing conditions. One option that meets this requirement is the Student Insurance from AON.  

Many home-country insurance policies do not offer sufficient coverage for medical costs incurred during a period of study abroad. Therefore we strongly advise you to take out a student insurance policy instead, as mentioned above.
If you do take out a policy in your home country, make sure it is adequate and covers any pre-existing conditions. Remember to bring your policy along with you to the Netherlands.

Important: Travel insurance alone does not offer sufficient coverage for a period of study in the Netherlands! 

For more information on health insurance in the Netherlands, please visit Study in Holland website.

If you do not have an AON (ICS Complete) policy, Dutch public health insurance, or an EU health insurance card, please use this insurance checklist to verify whether your insurance policy meets all requirements. 

For more information on health insurance in the Netherlands please visit 
Study in Holland website / healthcare insurance.

Liability Insurance

We strongly advise you to take out third-party liability insurance to cover any accidental damage or harm you may cause to other persons or property during your stay. This is not compulsory according to Dutch law, but is standard practice in the Netherlands and highly advisable. You can purchase liability insurance for a reasonable price from one of the aforementioned providers in advance, or from an insurance company upon arrival. 
For more information, please visit Study in Holland website / Liability Insurance

Registering at a GP

We highly advise you to register with a doctor (GP)  The Hague before arrival or soon after you get here.

You can only get a doctor’s appointment in the Netherlands after first registering at a doctor’s practice. Furthermore, if you need to see a specialist, you must first obtain a referral from your own doctor – except in cases of emergency.

Check more information on GP services in The Hague

Register at GP
This website uses cookies.  More information.