Marie-Leen participeert als duale promovendus in het programma van Leiden University Dual PhD Centre. Werktitel proefschrift: 'Interrelationships between Film and Design reflected in movies and viewed through a design historical and design cultural lens.'
Marie-Leen Ryckaert is a Senior Lecturer in Design History & Theory and a Research Fellow at ArtEZ University of the Arts (Department of Interior Architecture).
Marie-Leen was educated in Belgium and the Netherlands. After studying History and Dutch language and literature, she studied Art History and Archeology at Leiden University, where she specialized in Applied Arts & Industrial Design as well as Museology.
As a design historian she worked at Sotheby’s Department of Decorative Arts (Amsterdam) and the Groninger Museum’s Department of Decorative Arts (research and curatorial work). She held positions in the managerial field and was board member of several organizations in the domain of the arts, art history and design. As such she organized and coordinated a number of (international) projects and symposia, mainly on design topics. She conducted research, published and lectured on European glass, Japonism, Scandinavian design, Dutch design, Interior design and Film.
- ArtEZ University of the Arts, Department of Interior Architecture, Zwolle and Arnhem, the Netherlands (2009-present);
- Parsons School of Design / Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum, Master Program in the History of Design and Curatorial Studies, New York, USA (2014-2019);
- LUCA School of Arts, University college, Brussels, Belgium (2002-2011);
- University of Applied Sciences and Art, Antwerp, Belgium (2009);
- Hanze University of Applied Sciences, Minerva Art Academy, Groningen, the Netherlands (2000, 2003).
- Co-author of the book Composing the New Carpet, ArtEZ Press, 2018.
Following the research project (2015-2017) of the ArtEZ Centre of Expertise;
- ‘Sur le pont d’Avignon … and the material culture of celebration’, in: Ljubljana and its bridges, ed. Peter Krečič et al., University of Primorska, Faculty of Design, Ljubljana, 2014, p. 11-17;
- Between 2000 and 2013: multiple contributions to the Dutch Design Magazine ITEMS;
- The Hessian Goblet in the Groninger Museum, in the Journal of Glass Studies. Vol. 43, Corning Museum of Glass, New York, 2001, p. 107-114;
- From 1997 to 1999: various articles on European glass in the Dutch magazine Glas en Keramiek (Glass and Ceramics).
Key lectures and conference papers at
- Parsons School of Art and Design History and Theory, and School of Constructed Environments, New York (USA). Lecture in the Histories & Theories series INSIDE (hi)STORIES, title: ‘Museum Interiors: Revealing an Attitude Towards Culture’, May 2014.
- GIDE (Group for International Design Education), Academy of Design, Ljubljana (Slovenia). Keynote speaker at the opening conference, title presentation: ‘Sur le pont d’Avignon… and the material culture of celebration’, February 2013.
Published under the same title in Ljubljana and its bridges, 2014.
- University of Brighton (UK), Design History Society Annual Conference ‘The Material Culture of Sport’. Paper presentation: ‘Twisting by the Pool – Swimmers, Space and Identity in Film’, September 2012.
- TAD (Transatlantic Dialogue) International Conference ‘Living Culture in the University – Developing Citizens of the World’, Université du Luxembourg (Grand Duchy of Luxembourg). Lecture and workshop: ‘How to Foster Global Citizenship through the Arts?’, May 2011.
Promovendus / gast
- Faculteit der Geesteswetenschappen
- Centre for the Arts in Society