Marie-Leen participeert als duale promovendus in het programma van Leiden University Dual PhD Centre. Werktitel proefschrift: 'Interrelationships between Film and Design reflected in movies and viewed through a design historical and design cultural lens.'
Marie-Leen Ryckaert is a Senior Lecturer in Design History & Theory and a Research Fellow at ArtEZ University of the Arts (Department of Interior Architecture) in the Netherlands. She also holds the position of Visiting Lecturer and Examiner at the Master Program in the History of Design and Curatorial Studies at Parsons School of Design/Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum in New York, USA.
Marie-Leen was educated in Belgium and the Netherlands. After studying History and Dutch language and literature, she studied Art History and Archeology at Leiden University, where she specialized in Applied Arts & Industrial Design as well as Museology.
She worked as a design historian at Sotheby’s Department of Decorative Arts (Amsterdam), Groninger Museum’s Department of Decorative Arts (research and curatorial work), held positions in the managerial field and was a member of several discipline-related boards. As such she organized a number of (international) projects and symposia, mainly on design topics. She conducted research, published and lectured on European glass, Japonism, Scandinavian design, Dutch design, Film and Interior design.
Key publications and conference papers
Between 2000 and 2013 Marie-Leen contributed to the Dutch Design Magazine ITEMS, and conducted research on European glass, design culture and the intersection of material studies and interior design.
Among others, she published ‘The Hessian Goblet in the Groninger Museum’ in the Journal of Glass Studies (Vol. 43, Corning Museum of Glass, New York, 2001) and various articles on European glass in the magazine Glas en Keramiek (Glass and Ceramics) in the Netherlands.
The book on the recently finished research project Composing the New Carpet (ArtEZ Centre of Expertise) to which she contributed (2015-2017) will be published in the course of 2018.
Marie-Leen was (keynote) speaker at several (international) occasions and conferences, such as:
- Parsons School of Art and Design History and Theory, and School of Constructed Environments, New York (USA). Lecture in the Histories & Theories series INSIDE (hi)STORIES, title: ‘Museum Interiors: Revealing an Attitude Towards Culture’, May 2014. (Publication forthcoming)
- GIDE (Group for International Design Education), Academy of Design, Ljubljana (Slovenia). Keynote speaker at the opening conference, title presentation: ‘Sur le pont d’Avignon… and the material culture of celebration’, February 2013.
Published under the same title in: Ljubljana and its bridges, ed. Peter Krečič et al., Ljubljana (Faculty of Design, University of Primorska), 2014, p. 11 – 17.
- University of Brighton (UK), Conference ‘The Material Culture of Sport’. Paper presentation: ‘Twisting by the Pool – Swimmers, Space and Identity in Film’, September 2012.
- TAD (Transatlantic Dialogue) International Conference ‘Living Culture in the University – Developing Citizens of the World’, Université du Luxembourg (Grand Duchy of Luxembourg). Lecture and workshop: ‘How to Foster Global Citizenship through the Arts?’, May 2011.
Besides her teaching activities at ArtEZ (since January 2009) and Parsons School of Design (since January 2014) Marie-Leen lectured on design topics at several university colleges in Belgium (Brussels, 2002-2011; Antwerp, 2009) and the Netherlands (Groningen, 2000, 2003).
- Faculteit Governance and Global Affairs
- Dual PhD Centre