I teach a range of different courses in the Minor Translation and the MA Translation, including courses on Translation Studies, The Translator's Tools, Multimodal Translation and Subtitling in Theory and Practice. My research focuses primarly on the translation of metaphor, style and gender between different languages and cultures, between different genres and domains, and between different modes and modalities.
Fields of interest
- Translation Studies
- Descriptive Translation Studies
- Multimodal Translation
- Audiovisual Translation
- Literary Translation
- Machine Translation
- Metaphor Studies
- Genre Analysis
- Corpus Linguistics
- Reception Studies
Lettie Dorst successfully defended her PhD thesis on "Metaphor in Fiction: Language, Thought and Communication" in June 2011. Since then she has done research on the use and translation of metaphor, style and gender in different genres and domains, including literature, journalism, religious discourse and health communication. Her current research focus is on machine translation and multilingualism in academia on the one hand, and on metaphor and intercultural communication on the other.
Grants and awards
2020-ongoing: NRO Comenius Senior Fellow on "The Value of Machine Translation in the Multilingual Academic Community"
2019-ongoing: member of NWO ZonMW Memorabel project "Dementia in Metaphors: Towards Shared Understanding and Decision-making in Families of Various Cultural Backgrounds"
- Zeven K.L. & Dorst A.G. (2020), A beautiful little fool? Retranslating Daisy Buchanan in The Great Gatsby, Perspectives: Studies in Translation Theory and Practice : 1-15.
- Nacey S., Dorst A.G., Krennmayr T. & Reijnierse W.G. (Eds.) (2019), Metaphor Identification in Multiple Languages Converging Evidence in Language and Communication Research no. 22. Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishing Company.
- Dorst A.G. (2019), Translating metaphorical mind style: machinery and ice metaphors in Ken Kesey’s One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest, Perspectives: Studies in Translation Theory and Practice 27(6): 875-889.
- Dorst A.G. & Klop M. (2017), Not a holy father: Dutch Muslim teenagers' metaphors for Allah, Metaphor and the Social World 7(1): 66-86.
- Dorst A.G. (2015), More or different metaphors in fiction? A quantitative cross-register comparison., Language and Literature 24(1): 3-22.
- For previous publications, please visit: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Lettie_Dorst
- Co-Editor Metaphor and the Social World