Jeroen Wolbers is Assistant Professor of Crisis Governance at the Institute for Security and Global Affairs, Leiden University. His position is affiliated to the Crisis Research Center (CRC), which was founded in 1989, and is one of the oldest crisis researcher centers in Europe. His expertise lies in fast-response organising on the topics of coordination, sensemaking, and decision-making, with a special focus on crisis management. His work is published in leading organization and crisis management journals.
In his PhD thesis Jeroen studied coordination processes between emergency services on disaster sites. His thesis was selected for the top 3 dissertations worldwide in management science with the Grigor McClelland Award 2017, and he was awarded with the VU Faculty of Social Science Dissertation Award. Previously Jeroen was a postdoctoral researcher in the NWO project on Smart Disaster Governance at the VU University, where he performed fieldwork during the response to the Nepal Earthquakes in 2015, the refugee crisis in Europe, and multiple disaster exercises throughout the Netherlands.
Extension number: 4972.
- Boersma F.K., Diks D., Ferguson J. & Wolbers J. (2019), From reactive to proactive use of social media in emergency response: A critical discussion of the Twitcident Project. In: Silvius, G. (Eds.) Emergency and Disaster Management: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools, and Applications. Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Wolbers J.J. & Boersma F.K. (2019), Key Challenges in Crisis Management. In: Gephart R., Miller C., Helgesson K. (Eds.) The Routledge Companion to Risk, Crisis and Emergency Management.: Routledge.
- Schmidt A., Wolbers J., Ferguson J. & Boersma K. (2018), Are you Ready2Help? Conceptualizing the management of online and onsite volunteer convergence, Journal of Contingencies and Crisis Management 26(3): 338-349.
- Wolbers J.J., Boersma F.K. & Groenewegen P. (2018), Introducing a fragmentation perspective on coordination in crisis management, Organization Studies 39(11): 1521-1546.
- Boersma F.K., Ferguson J., Groenewegen P., Mulder F., Schmidt A., Wolbers & J. (2018), Platformsturing van zelforganisatie tijdens rampen, Bestuurskunde 27(2): 14-21.
- Boersma F.K., Comfort L.K., Groenendaal J. & Wolbers J.J. (2014), Incident command systems: A dynamic tension among goals, rules and practice, Journal of Contingencies and Crisis Management 22(1): 1-4.
- Wolbers J.J. & Boersma F.K. (2013), The common operational picture as collective sensemaking, Journal of Contingencies and Crisis Management 21(4): 186-199.
- Reservist muzikant