Crisis and Security Management (MSc)
As crises arising from terrorism, civil war, and natural disasters dominate world news it is no surprise that security and crisis management - including the perception of risk - is at the top of the global societal and governance agenda.
student from Germany
"A perk of this programme is definitely its location. Entirely taught on Campus The Hague of Leiden University it offers a great opportunity for students or recent graduates to pursue a career in one of the many international organizations based in the city or yet private companies in proximity of these institutions. The lecturers are particularly easy to approach and always open to give feedback on your work or give assistance on other academic matters."
"This master's programme offers a unique multidisciplinary approach to the the broadening concepts of crisis and security issues. The main advantage of the programme is that we get the chance to apply the academic perspectives we learn in claas to real-life situations. This really demonstrates the importance and relevance of the study".
What does this master's programme entail?
During this multidisciplinary career-relevant master’s programme you become familiar with the political and social dimensions of the governance of (in)security and crisis. You study contemporary security challenges from both local and global points of view and gain deep understanding of the ‘wicked problem’ of security and crisis topics in a complex and globalising world. The combination of theory, practical insights and analytical skills prepares you for work in public or private organisations.
This video can not be shown because you did not accept cookies.You can leave our website to view this video.
Reasons to choose CSM at Leiden University
This MSc offers you unique multidisciplinary perspectives on the governance of security and crisis.
- You learn from members of the Institute of Public Administration and Institute of Security & Global Affairs plus guest lecturers from many fields and organisations;
- Your study is informed by the latest international, interdisciplinary research in security studies;
- You study in The Hague, international city of peace and justice, home to many governmental/ NGO’s concerned with security issues.
Is CSM the right programme for you?
- Are you driven to read the news each morning, fascinated by current events and their follow-on developments?
- Can you think critically about complex societal issues?
- Are you interested in combining a variety of academic perspectives and applying them to real-life issues?
- Do you want to contribute to the discussion and practices around crisis and security management?
- Are you able to form an informed opinion and communicate it clearly to a variety of audiences?
Then this is the programme for you!