Bernardo Ribeiro de Almeida
External PhD candidate
Bernardo Ribeiro de Almeida is an external PhD candidate at the Van Vollenhoven Institute.
Bernardo Almeida is a PhD researcher at the Van Vollenhoven Institute. Bernardo started his professional career as a lawyer in Portugal, and then lived and worked for many years in Timor-Leste, first as a property rights lecturer at the national university, and then as a Ministry of Justice legal advisor for the land sector, responsible for legal drafting and analysis.
Bernardo is currently writing his PhD thesis at the Van Vollenhoven Institute of Leiden Law School, Leiden University (Netherlands) about the development of the formal land tenure system in Timor-Leste. Since 2015 Bernardo also has worked as a researcher, consultant and trainer in Timor-Leste, Afghanistan, Angola, and Laos for various organisations, including UNDP, UN Habitat, and The Asia Foundation, with special focus on land-related legislation.
External PhD candidate
- Faculteit Rechtsgeleerdheid
- Instituut voor Metajuridica
- Van Vollenhoven Instituut
- Ribeiro de Almeida B. (2018), A aplicação da usucapião em Timor-Leste [Adverse possession in Timor-Leste], e-boletim Lei & Justiça 1(1): 5-15.
- Ribeiro de Almeida B. (2018), Expropriation or Plunder? Property rights and infrastructure development in Oecusse. In: Bovensiepen J.M. (Ed.) The Promise of Prosperity: Visions of the Future in Timor-Leste. Pacific Series Canberra: ANU Press. 99-118.
- Ribeiro de Almeida B. (2018), Hakarak ka lakoi? Os limites da expropriação em Timor-Leste [Hakarak ka lakoi? The limits of expropriation in Timor-Leste], e-boletim Lei & Justiça 1(2): 19-35.
- Ribeiro de Almeida B. (2017), The Main Characteristics of the Timorese Legal System – a Practical Guide, Verfassung und Recht in Übersee 50(2): 175-187.
- Almeida B. (2017), Navigating without a compass: state transition in Timor-Leste’s formal land tenure system. In: Viegas S. de M., Feijó R.G. (Eds.) Transformations in Independent Timor-Leste: Dynamics of Social and Cultural Cohabitations. Routledge/City University of Hong Kong Southeast Asia Series London-New York: Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group. 123-141.
- Ribeiro de Almeida B. (2016), Indonesia's Changing Political Economy: Governing the Roads Review of: Davidson J.S. (2015) Indonesia's Changing Political Economy: Governing the Roads, Bijdragen tot de Taal-, Land- en Volkenkunde 172(2-3): 373-409.
- Ribeiro de Almeida B. & Wassel T. (2016), Key Findings from the Survey on Access to Land, Tenure Security and Land Conflicts in Timor-Leste. Leiden: Van Vollenhoven Institute and The Asia Foundation. [White paper].
- Ribeiro de Almeida B. (2016), Land Tenure Legislation in Timor-Leste: The Asia Foundation. [Working paper].
- Ribeiro de Almeida B. & Wassel T. (2016), Survey on Access to Land, Tenure Security and Land Conflicts in Timor-Leste (. Van Vollenhoven Institute, Faculty of Law, Leiden University), . Leiden: Van Vollenhoven Institute and The Asia Foundation.
No relevant ancillary activities