Fields of interest
Comparative Indo-European linguistics; Hittitology (historical linguistics and philology); Historical linguistics and philology of the other Anatolian languages (Luwian, Lycian, Carian etc.).
At the moment I am mainly working on a monograph on the accentual system of Hittite. Other topics of interest are the phonological interpretation of the Hittite consonants, the historical morphology of Anatolian, the reconstruction of the Proto-Indo-European ablaut-accent paradigms, and the early split up of the Indo-European language family.
This year I am teaching the following courses:
- Language and Culture of the Indo-Europeans
- Introduction to Comparative Indo-European Linguistics II
- Advanced Readings in Indo-European Linguistics
- Anatolian Historical Grammar
2012-pres.: Assistant professor (Leiden University Centre for Linguistics).
2008-2012: Postdoctoral researcher (VENI-project 'Stressing the Facts: Accentuation in Hittite', Leiden University).
2002-2007: PhD (with distinction) Comparative Indo-European Linguistics (Leiden University).
2001-2002: Advanced Master's Programme (with distinction) in Non-Western Studies (Leiden University).
1997-2001: MA (with distinction) Comparative Indo-European Linguistics (Leiden University).
1996-1997: Propaedeutic Indo-Iranian Languages and Cultures (Leiden University).
- Kloekhorst, A. (2008), Etymological Dictionary of the Hittite Inherited Lexicon. ( Leiden Indo-European Etymological Dictionary Series, 5). Leiden: Brill.
- Kloekhorst, A. (2012), Hittite “ā/e”-ablauting verbs. In Melchert, H.C. (Ed.) The Indo-European Verb. Proceedings of the Conference of the Society for Indo-European Studies, Los Angeles 13-15 September 2010 (pp. 150-160).
- Kloekhorst, A. (2012), The Phonological Interpretation of Plene and Non-Plene Spelled e in Hittite. In Nielsen-Whitehead, B. (Ed.) The Sound of Indo-European. Phonetics, Phonemics, and Morphophonemics (pp. 243-261).
- Kloekhorst, A. (2010), Initial stops in Hittite (with an excursus on the spelling of stops in Alalaḫ Akkadian). Zeitschrift für Assyriologie, 100, pp. 197-241.
- Kloekhorst, A. (2008), Studies in Lycian and Carian phonology and morphology. Kadmos, 47, pp. 117-146.
- Etymologisch adviseur